Have anyone removed dust cup in Fostex FE driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2005, 12:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Have anyone removed dust cup in Fostex FE driver?

As in the topic.
Have anyone tried to do this?

Bartek
Old 7th January 2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Jak sie masz bracie?!

Yes, I've removed the dustcaps off my FE206E drivers and installed paper piezo tweeters...then phase plugs. I have some pictures laying around on my hard drive, somewhere.

Anyway...it's very easy, I took a hobby knife (x-acto, scalpel or whatever will do) and gently scored around the dome a few times till I got through. It's pretty intimidating at first (I didn't want to F it up) but trust me, it's easy. Also, it's well worth the effort, although I my paper piezo experiment gave mediocre results so far, the phase plugs are a big improvement. I didn't try a socket like the 'decware' mod, I made my own wooden plugs.

What are you planning to do?
Old 7th January 2005, 12:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Witam,

Many thanks for the answer.I've done that many times before ,but never on Fostex.I'm using FE 206E and I was considering to do it but first wanted to ask what are the results. Some drivers benefit from doing it and some not.
I'm not using tweeter ,but I have a lot highs due to notch filter I'm using with this driver.I'm using it in BS enclosure and I dropped about 5-6 db to get satysfying higs and lows.

Some drivers I had sounded best without and phase plug ,much better than with it and I tried a couple of shapes I made of wood.

All Best

Bartek
Old 7th January 2005, 11:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

With my first phase plug attempts on this driver I was getting some sibilance, which bugged me a bit, but the highs were more extended and I noticed better response off axis so I kept experimenting. My final result was a plug diameter that left a <1mm gap between voice coil and plug. I also gently sanded the cut edge with 400 grit paper to smooth it as much as possible, that took care of the sibilance entirely. The final plug extends just past the wizzer and has a bullet shape that compliments whizzer's profile. Sounds fantastic.

Powodzenia!
Old 8th January 2005, 09:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Does anyone know the size of the socket for the "Decware phase plug". Steve mentions the benefits of the hollow phase plug, so I want to give it a try along with some more traditionally shaped phase plugs.
Old 28th January 2005, 09:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi,
New to this forum! I am looking to buy piezo tweeter that you find under a fostex speaker. They basically have a piezo element with some sort of a high density foam or paper on top of it and I have heard some of them sound great.
I am looking to buy this wide-range Piezo tweeer, but without any luck. Does anyone know where to buy them?
Or if I buy regular piezo horns and remove all the plastic, is the piezo element at the core of all the casing the same as what I am looking for? Has anyone tried this?

Any comment and suggestion will be much appreciated!!
Old 28th January 2005, 11:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey, check this out, it may be what you're looking for. What a coincidence!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

These have the perfect diameter to fit in a fostex Fe206 driver.
Old 28th January 2005, 11:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

BTW, I know very little about piezos, in fact the fore-mentioned ones are one of two pairs I've ever played with.
Old 2nd February 2005, 10:15 PM   #9
tmblack is offline tmblack  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What is the benifit of placing phase plugs at the center?
I've seen someone advertise wooden ones.
I would think the added mass would reduce the sensitivity.

Tom
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to botrytis
It would be like a Coaxial - better imaging. Ever listen to a KEF Uni-Q or a Tannoy Concentric driver/loudspeaker? Give a listen and you will understand.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!