z-680 modding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a z-680 system, and I'm considering doing some tweaking.

The system comes with 5 satellites each with a 3" phase plug driver. Im considering replacing these with similar tang band drivers, but im not sure how much it would effect sound quality.

I've also been toying with replacing the 8" sub driver.

This would be my first project like this, and I would appreciate your input.

they might not be TB drivers...

take one out and take a look at it and post several pics for us to look at...

i'd recomend that you just build some new speakers...i don't think that a plastic shell is going to treat you very well as far as an enclosure goes...

but post some pics of the drivers from the satelites and prove me wrong....maybe they are TB drivers...:xeye:

they sure do look TB-ish, maybe Aura.
There is not much you can do to the driver itself, maybe some rope putty between magnet and basket, felt inside the basket legs., I think those have cast baskets and neo magnets, so no real need to damp the basket or motor assy....
I would look to building some decent enclosures for them instead of modifying the drivers, you'll get much more noticeable improvements that way. At least try some tar based damping materials on those plastic shells, those tiny stands they come with are pretty flexy add a strut to stiffen them up ...that is if you're really not into building some better 'boxes' for them.

I would not replace the speakers or subwoofer, they are probably designed specifically for those enclosures. They all all tangband speakers.

That speaker set is already very good.. maybe there is something else you can mod (all I can think of is stuff the satellites if there isnt any already).

Couple of things

- I recognize the link coolkhoa posted (I've posted it myself a time or two), and it concerns the Z-560s. Sure it demonstrates that Logitech likes to use Tang Band drivers, and they might be the identical drivers in your Z-680s but you shouldn't assume that to be the case. Until you crack your speakers open you can't be sure what they are.

- The built-in amplifier may have a ridiculously high crossover point to the sub - in fact I'd anticipate this. You might do all these extensive mods and find out that the speakers don't see any signal below 250 Hz anyway. I'd borrow some larger speakers and do a test run before proceeding further, with the sub disconnected, so you can find out if it's even worth continuing.

If you get good results there I'll chime in with another vote toward replacing the boxes rather than plopping new drivers in those tiny enclosures.

This might be the link Chris8sirhC was thinking of:

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html

Don't just look at the first pic and decide, there are plans for several different enclosures down the page including one very compact setup that seems very appealing for a typical computer desk.

How to use a "Z" sub with floorstanders

Is there a way to eliminate the crossover on the sub? (basically I want to send all frequencies to the satellites) I currently have 2 channels going out to a couple of Athena AS-F1 floorstanders, but the sub sounds like it's cutting off everything <200 Hz.

Idealy I'd like to have it kick in <50 Hz, but that's probably asking a lot, although this is the only forum I've found where people are modding the z-series substantially.

I'm on a tight budget at the moment, so I'd like to avoid buying an integrated amp, which is why I'm trying to do this. Alternately, if I do have to buy one, it would be nice to use the sub to fill in the bottom end some how...

Let me know what you think, thanks.
(the z-2200 sats. are the same as the z-680 ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.