Tang Band W3-315SC, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After asking for availability of W3-871, The dealer recommended me W3-315SC's using phrases like "better construction, better sound"
Was this just an attempt to sell something because they didn't have any 871 in stock?

I'd like to hear some comments about 315's, (is it worth bying, what kind DIY's have you had, etc.)
-m
P.S. I've been looking for projects based on these W3-513's, but all I find is 871's. Should I take this as a hint NOT to use 315?

Tangband manufactures so many drivers that nobody is going to have information on all of them. The best you can do if you can't find anyone that has used them is to meaure the drivers yourself or use TB published specs and design something yourself using the available software. Based solely on the published specs it doesn't look like a "bad" driver. Compared to the W3-871S it has nearly the same FR and Vas so it will probably work in the same size box as an 871 design. Might be interesting to remove that dust cap and put in a phase plug (for the more adventurous souls). :D
This design for the W3-871S looks like it would work well for the W3-315SC also.

Line length ===== 15.75"
area at top ===== 18.6 sq in
area at bottom ==18.6 sq in
port tube =======0.492" diameter, 1.18" length
driver position ===7.56" from top of line
port position ==== 14.76" from top of line

(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33101)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.