How about linear distortion (stored energy) of full range drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Question How about linear distortion (stored energy) of full range drivers?

Se on moro!

I haven't seen stored energy measurements made for full range drivers e.g. fostex, beyma, visaton, tangband, monacor and others. So I'm wondering how (bad) they would compare at high freqs with normal dome tweeters? Large cones (up to 8") resonate at high freqs so one would expect them to be much worse in this regard.

And the principal question of how much emphasis one should put on stored energy behaviour of drivers when compared to other factors as nonlinear distortion, power response and room acoustics a.o. still remains unaswered to me. What do you think?

Here's a couple of familiar links of stored energy measurements:

http://www.woodartistry.com/linkwitzlab/mid_dist.htm

http://206.13.113.199/ncdiyaudio/mark/Testing_page.htm

http://www.mfk-projects.com/Measurements.htm

- Elias
Old 7th January 2005, 03:51 AM   #2
MarkMcK is offline MarkMcK  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't get too caught up in the jargon. Stored energy and linear distortion may sound sexy, but it is just a different way of displaying the same phenomenom shown in waterfall response graphs and in my own decay response graphs. Both waterfall response graphs and decay response graphs have been around for a long time. Both have been used to show the performance of full-range drivers.

It is just with the waterfall and decay response graphs you see the frequency component too.

The stored energy or linear distortion is also seen in an impluse response graph. Impulse responses just contain so much data that most people find them hard to read.

Good designing and good building,

Mark
Old 11th January 2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Moro!

I'm not aware of any web page showing these kind of tests of fullrange drivers.

It makes me wonder if people are building fullrange speakers without paying much attention or interest on this aspect? I would have thought the cone resonance free reproduction would have been the preference, but maybe not then...

- Elias
Old 11th January 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.manger-msw.de/en/produkte...zerfall_gr.jpg
Old 18th January 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

And that's polite. The recent measurment in HobbyHifi looked messier, and real fullranges like the Visaton B200 and Ciare CH250 are a real mess!
Old 18th January 2005, 12:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And that's polite. The recent measurment in HobbyHifi looked messier, and real fullranges like the Visaton B200 and Ciare CH250 are a real mess!
Will have to look at this one and compare.

BTW: IMO real instruments usually have initial transients and all of them have some sustain which is most often slower than a driver's decay (even the average listening room is far worse than this). As long as the initial transient is faithfully reproduced (and that's what even the cheapest fullranges do better than many kilo-$ multiway speakers can do ) and the decay isn't excessive one doesn't have to care too much IMHO.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!