My NSB sewer speaker sounds like a 2" bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should I be excited or devestated?

I'm using a 90 bend with the NSB facing forward and the other end closed. It was a quicky job to say the least. No stuffing or prep inside the pipe. Just the bare minimum to make it work. Used Cat5 cable for the speaker wire.

First listening test was to connect it to my center channel while watching some talk shows. Sounded as good as most average TV speakers. Lacked a little with some lower male voices but was acceptable. Especially considering I've got $5 in the whole thing.

The longer I sit and listened I started to realize I've heard a speaker that sounds like this one very recently. Last week I was at Sams Club(the wholesale store realted to Walmart not the go-go club) and was standing at the bose display. Ofcourse I hit the demo button. After a few minutes I left and didn't think to much about it. Days later I put my NSB sewer speaker together and realized that they really could sound decent with just a little work.

Next plans are to add a buyout tweeter and make 5 of them for my 4 year old daughter. Her birthday is in a month and it can be another gift. I wonder how many kids that age have there own custom made surround sound?

Should I be excited or devestated?

I'm using a 90 bend with the NSB facing forward and the other end closed. It was a quicky job to say the least. No stuffing or prep inside the pipe. Just the bare minimum to make it work. Used Cat5 cable for the speaker wire.

First listening test was to connect it to my center channel while watching some talk shows. Sounded as good as most average TV speakers. Lacked a little with some lower male voices but was acceptable. Especially considering I've got $5 in the whole thing.

The longer I sit and listened I started to realize I've heard a speaker that sounds like this one very recently. Last week I was at Sams Club(the wholesale store realted to Walmart not the go-go club) and was standing at the bose display. Ofcourse I hit the demo button. After a few minutes I left and didn't think to much about it. Days later I put my NSB sewer speaker together and realized that they really could sound decent with just a little work.

Next plans are to add the apexjr.com tweeter and make 5 of them for my 4 year old daughter. Her birthday is in a month and it can be another gift. I wonder how many kids that age have there own custom made surround sound?

It probably has a frequency response very similar to the Bose - build cost may be similar too!

These drivers need bigger enclosures than seems sensible, and even then they don't do much in the bass department.

My personal favorite setup right now is open baffle. I'm building some TMM TQWT experiments with the newer Dayton ND tweeters when I get there. Have them with a Tang Band tweeter too (MTM and MMTMM). They can sound significantly better than most Bose setups I've heard with a little care.

C

BillFitzmaurice said:
At the very least stuff the pipe with polyfill to tame resonant peaks and valleys that otherwise will be there. I'd also try it fully stuffed with the end of the pipe open. That driver will support TL use in a 3 foot long stuffed pipe good down to 100 Hz.

What size pipe and how much stuffing are you using? If your familiar with The Blue Man Group a speaker enclosure similiar to their precussion instruments using PVC pipe would make for an interesting bookshelf speaker.

thomas997 said:
Open baffle sounds the best to me as well. But your going to need a sub no matter what.. (think bose bass module :D)

Also try coating them with something, or trying a simple crossover to get rid of the 7k peak.

Parts Express has a $50 sub thing I'm might try. Are you refering to coating the speaker cone or the inside of the pipe enclosure? If the speaker cone what would you suggest?

phase_accurate said:
Excuse me for one heretical question: How much sewage did you have to fill in to make them sound like B*** ?
;)

Sorry, couldn't resist !

Regards

Charles

LOL

Thats funny, and not to far from the truth.

I've had some good replies in the Loudspeaker section if anyone is interested. I'll have some pics in a few days.

MPM said:

Parts Express has a $50 sub thing I'm might try. Are you refering to coating the speaker cone or the inside of the pipe enclosure? If the speaker cone what would you suggest?

Coating the speaker cone with something. I used a light coat of modge podge glue (puzzlecoat, etc., seems to all be the same thing).

Im experimenting with removing the dust cap as well. Just taking the cap off doesnt seem to help. A phase plug would be good, but I need to make one first :)

Make a phase plug from a wine bottle cork. Like this.

Attachments

• bsb-treated and phase plug.jpg
    bsb-treated and phase plug.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 281
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.