Plumbing speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HYDRO_PAIR_Yellow.jpg

http://www.acousticalart.com/pages/3/index.htm

Anybody know anything about these

:)ensen

Price: $2499 matched pair

That is laughable - for the flow - were it not again declaring the customer to be an idiot.
Those drivers are vifa, worth about - lets be generous - 400$ including taxes and shipping, 5 - 8 hrs labour - to be generous, i am a plumber among other things, and about 50$ - rough estimate - of pvc pipe.
Excellent profit margin.

I just hope they included a ballcock in the design - so it can flush it down itself.

I bought my 4" 90 degree elbow thick wall this weekend for my NSB computer speakers. $3.92/each at Lowes. If this works I might try a "T" fitting with one speaker pointing forward and the other pointing up or to the rear. It depends on how you want to orient it.

Hey Jensen,
Those look like TB W3-879S available from PE for ~$15. A visit to a local home improvement store should get you a close match on the pipe and paint. A better alternative would be the W3-871S or W3-881S with MAD tweaks. Looks very much like Rob Sampson's pipe speakers.

Audio-kraut, don't be too harsh

Am I really too harsh? I like the concept, which afaik has been bummed from bill fitzmaurice's attempt to bulid cheap speaker enclosures and use pvc/abs pipes for transmission lines as published in some speaker builder articles of yore.

I have really nothing against the idea, just again - taking the customer to the cleaner without even the benefit of own ideas justifying any development cost.

audio-kraut said:

Am I really too harsh? I like the concept, which afaik has been bummed from bill fitzmaurice's attempt to bulid cheap speaker enclosures and use pvc/abs pipes for transmission lines as published in some speaker builder articles of yore.

I have really nothing against the idea, just again - taking the customer to the cleaner without even the benefit of own ideas justifying any development cost.

#1. It's art.
#2 They're in New York.
(no offense blackie)

;)

I was joking (colour...). Sometimes, I have to admit that I can be a bit too subtle. Must be because I haven't finished my holiday shopping.

Interesting about the W3-879. I have some some FM-69P805B clearance TB units from Acoustic Technologies, a pair of 4" diameter elbows and 4 end caps. I'm making an Xmax present. (heh... get it?) Calculations put the sealed box at about 1.4L which is about right for a 45deg elbow.

Any ideas on how much stuffing? I'm thinking of going to the dollar store for some cheap polyester blankets or towels.

:)ensen.

It's part of a game my family has going at Christmas... names in a hat, $25 budget and cool factor.

I'm thinking of call this speaker the Sub-25. No paint, and no terminals.

Tim: Stocking stuffer... perfect.... Sears is selling polyester socks for cheap. I wonder if worn and smelly would really slow down the speed of sound due to higher adiabatic effects.

You know, when I steal an idea, I have the decency to give credit. If I make money when I steal an idea...

Something's amiss here. I suppose I shouldn't accuse the company of stealing intellectual property for profit, but something should be said that the idea is simply not original. How long have they been marketing this idea? A simple google search would have found my project--which was inspired by Sampson--and Sampson's projects.

Before I fly off the handle, would someone like to calm me down?

Dave

Edit: I dunno. Is this what happens in the real world of speaker building? Amateurs invent for the fun of it, then someone figures out how to make money in producing the idea? golly...

kneadle,

Maybe we should all send e-mails to the mfg, Mr. Sampson and then to all the gadget blogs that were linking to it. But that's thing with the web... if you post something on it, you have to expect people to see it and maybe even do something with it. It's why my best audio thoughts don't make it onto this forum and why my other industrial design projects remain in my head until I figure out how to quit my day job.

:)ensen.

BTW, the snakes are pretty cool.

Well, I appreciate that. It was just a cri de coeur, so-to-speak. Or an e-cri. Morals and ethics are what they are, whether laws are laws or not.

Here's where I come from:

If I ever finish my dissertation, and what I passed off as "original" and as a contribution to the academy were found to be duplicated somewhere else--anywhere else--my reputation would be shot, no matter how innocent the circumstance would be that I duplicated someone else's work.

So, my project is not hard to find, and has been completed for quite some time. Sampson's project has been published online for quite some time even further. So, I'd be ashamed to market PVC speakers as "art" unless I referred to the work done by others. And their product isn't even that good! Not $2500 "art" good, anyhow.

If it were my company, I'd at least mention that my "art" was in the tradition of PVC pipe speaker technology developed by such and such a person and carried into the present by others and now bearing fruit here, on my company's website. And now you can participate in this budding artform and science and whatever...

And let me just add: I have no idea why this is making me mad. Must be the planets' alignment.

Dave

Who knows, maybe this guy doesn't know about the Sampson pipes or the Baby Snakes. Of course, he could also be a (silent) member here. So just in case he's "listening" I've taken inspiration from the Audio Lego projects using PVC, polyester blanket and TB drivers. Maybe I should make a bunch and put them on eBay for double the cost, which would work out to about 1/4 the price from the artiste. Which means he's marked up about 900%! Sounds like a speaker equivalent of the Gaincard / gainclone. Need a cool name, like FloppyCat.

I claim no responsibility for better costs and improved performance. Any such results are unintended and any similarity to commercial speakers either current or in development is purely coincidental.

I saw those in one of the junk magazines I get. In the small pic in the magazine, those drivers looked awfully familiar, so I went to the website for close ups.

Sure enough, the speakers use 4.5" Vifa TC woofers and a 3/4" Classic tweeter. All in all, under $100 worth of drivers in both speakers. Add $20 for the PVC, and $3 for a can of krylon, and you're one simple crossover short of your own $2500 pair of esoteric speakers.

I need to come up with a gimmick so that I can get rich. :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.