Plumbing speakers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2004, 09:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Maybe they're thinking the same way over at Acoustical Art so as not to feel devastated and have to quit the business.

:)ensen.
Old 22nd December 2004, 11:09 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Notice there is no associated subwoofer with any of the pipes. I tried (and tried) but couldn't find an acceptable compromise between low-end and the pipes themselves starting to sing in tune (or was that sympathy). So my t-lines have been sitting under the bed fro about 3 years now waiting for further inspiration (playing bedtime music). The $150 dollar items (picture in post 1) look the goods for computer speakers though - I might grab the 4 inchers I was using and mount them the same way.

I did see a new sort of pipe the other day that might get this back on track - some sort of half-inch thick pipe (in various sizes). It had a black coating and the inside is pretty much 'clear'. When I rapped on it, it sounded very dead. But it's pretty expensive...
Old 23rd December 2004, 06:40 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

In addition to the four FM69s that I got from David Barnes, I got four W3-593s for a Voigt-ish center channel.

After this, I think that center channel will be another of these pipe projects. For that, I'm going to use the black ABS pipes. They have thicker walls and are almost twice the cost of the white PVC. I expect those to be considerably more inert than the pipes I'm using now.

Old 23rd December 2004, 06:57 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Drivers and wires are soldered now.

Elbows have a socket and spigot end. The drivers is mounted to an cap that fits over the spigot. The socket is the same diameter as a cap so the second cap is butted up and masking tape to hold them together until the sleeve insert. Four bump feet and a hole in the middle for the wires to come through.

Sound pretty good tuned this way. I can confirm the 90Hz response of the driver as low notes are missing from the piano in Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas. Enigma and Sade sound pretty good but acoustic instruments in Buena Vista Social Club sound a bit muddled. It's as if sounds with lots of harmonics are striking too many other resonances inside the pipe. The anomalous part is that piano is sounding pretty good, even if some of the harmonics are missing.

Old 23rd December 2004, 02:00 PM   #35
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Quote:
Originally posted by purplepeople
In addition to the four FM69s that I got from David Barnes, I got four W3-593s for a Voigt-ish center channel.

After this, I think that center channel will be another of these pipe projects. For that, I'm going to use the black ABS pipes. They have thicker walls and are almost twice the cost of the white PVC. I expect those to be considerably more inert than the pipes I'm using now.

ensen.
No, they won't be. They'll still ring like a bell. You have to dampen them somehow. I suggest covering them, either on the inside or outside, with some sort of heavy craft glue.

If you cover them on the outside, you can use the glue to stick stuff it very easily--like felt--and the damping will increase.

If your enclosures are small enough, you can probably manage to stick some material to the inside walls without significantly decreasing the volume or shape of the enclosure.

Dave

PS--Damp or dampen? I always forget the correct technical term.
Old 23rd December 2004, 03:43 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PS--Damp or dampen? I always forget the correct technical term.
I think we decided either was acceptable but it's always fun to think about someone getting their speakers wet.
Old 23rd December 2004, 03:46 PM   #37
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Yup, it's either. But one is transitive and one is intransitive. Yikes!

Dave
Old 31st December 2004, 06:17 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Does anyone else think the driver seperation is a bit much on those acousticalart speakers? Especially the center channel.

Anyway I wouldn't call it art... more like "crafts".
Old 1st January 2005, 04:43 AM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1/ this would be a pretty easy one to go after... build a better one & sell it cheaper (and be honest -- people like that these days). The idea of flogging them on eBay isn't bad.

2/ my toobz predate the Sampson projects (and at least in private mail has given me credit) and mine were inspired by others even earlier. Aside: the wooden insets top & bottom went a long way to killing the pipe wall resonances -- also lined with foam.

3/ Dave -- why don't you send a mail to the guy, point out all the refs, and in particular this thread... cc it to any number of publications (althou that might give him publicity to sell his stuff)

4/ the expensive ones -- who's pricing is perhaps out of line -- may only be a flagship to sell the babies, which i suspect probably offer better value than Bose.

5/ 5-10x cost is more typical of a retail product (some cables & various snake oil products excluded). margin on direct sales items is usually less.

dave
Old 1st January 2005, 07:40 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Dave:

I've seen the Toobz on your website, along with the Sampson pipes. Sorry man, all this time I didn't notice that they were an earlier project. I guess the question now is whether any of the sonotube projects are even older than all the usual suspects.

I agree with you that the high end products are only there to sell the lower priced stuff. But, based on what I've built, I have to say that the $149 Flows are highly overpriced. I might pay $99 CAD for them, but no more!

Hide this!Advertise here!