Plumbing speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2004, 11:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I was joking (colour...). Sometimes, I have to admit that I can be a bit too subtle. Must be because I haven't finished my holiday shopping.

Interesting about the W3-879. I have some some FM-69P805B clearance TB units from Acoustic Technologies, a pair of 4" diameter elbows and 4 end caps. I'm making an Xmax present. (heh... get it?) Calculations put the sealed box at about 1.4L which is about right for a 45deg elbow.

Any ideas on how much stuffing? I'm thinking of going to the dollar store for some cheap polyester blankets or towels.

:)ensen.
Old 21st December 2004, 11:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm making an Xmax present.
So much for subtlety.

Quote:
Any ideas on how much stuffing?
A stocking should do it.
Old 22nd December 2004, 12:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

It's part of a game my family has going at Christmas... names in a hat, $25 budget and cool factor.

I'm thinking of call this speaker the Sub-25. No paint, and no terminals.

Tim: Stocking stuffer... perfect.... Sears is selling polyester socks for cheap. I wonder if worn and smelly would really slow down the speed of sound due to higher adiabatic effects.

:)ensen
Old 22nd December 2004, 12:54 AM   #14
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
You know, when I steal an idea, I have the decency to give credit. If I make money when I steal an idea...

Something's amiss here. I suppose I shouldn't accuse the company of stealing intellectual property for profit, but something should be said that the idea is simply not original. How long have they been marketing this idea? A simple google search would have found my project--which was inspired by Sampson--and Sampson's projects.

Before I fly off the handle, would someone like to calm me down?

Dave

Edit: I dunno. Is this what happens in the real world of speaker building? Amateurs invent for the fun of it, then someone figures out how to make money in producing the idea? golly...
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tim: Stocking stuffer... perfect.... Sears is selling polyester socks for cheap. I wonder if worn and smelly would really slow down the speed of sound due to higher adiabatic effects
It might, however, I just checked mine and there's definitely heat involved.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

kneadle,

Maybe we should all send e-mails to the mfg, Mr. Sampson and then to all the gadget blogs that were linking to it. But that's thing with the web... if you post something on it, you have to expect people to see it and maybe even do something with it. It's why my best audio thoughts don't make it onto this forum and why my other industrial design projects remain in my head until I figure out how to quit my day job.

:)ensen.

BTW, the snakes are pretty cool.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:35 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well, I appreciate that. It was just a cri de coeur, so-to-speak. Or an e-cri. Morals and ethics are what they are, whether laws are laws or not.

Here's where I come from:

If I ever finish my dissertation, and what I passed off as "original" and as a contribution to the academy were found to be duplicated somewhere else--anywhere else--my reputation would be shot, no matter how innocent the circumstance would be that I duplicated someone else's work.

So, my project is not hard to find, and has been completed for quite some time. Sampson's project has been published online for quite some time even further. So, I'd be ashamed to market PVC speakers as "art" unless I referred to the work done by others. And their product isn't even that good! Not $2500 "art" good, anyhow.

If it were my company, I'd at least mention that my "art" was in the tradition of PVC pipe speaker technology developed by such and such a person and carried into the present by others and now bearing fruit here, on my company's website. And now you can participate in this budding artform and science and whatever...

And let me just add: I have no idea why this is making me mad. Must be the planets' alignment.

Dave
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by purplepeople
kneadle,

BTW, the snakes are pretty cool.
Thanks. More to come in the next 12 months or so....
Old 22nd December 2004, 06:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Who knows, maybe this guy doesn't know about the Sampson pipes or the Baby Snakes. Of course, he could also be a (silent) member here. So just in case he's "listening" I've taken inspiration from the Audio Lego projects using PVC, polyester blanket and TB drivers. Maybe I should make a bunch and put them on eBay for double the cost, which would work out to about 1/4 the price from the artiste. Which means he's marked up about 900%! Sounds like a speaker equivalent of the Gaincard / gainclone. Need a cool name, like FloppyCat.

:)ensen

I claim no responsibility for better costs and improved performance. Any such results are unintended and any similarity to commercial speakers either current or in development is purely coincidental.
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
I saw those in one of the junk magazines I get. In the small pic in the magazine, those drivers looked awfully familiar, so I went to the website for close ups.

Sure enough, the speakers use 4.5" Vifa TC woofers and a 3/4" Classic tweeter. All in all, under $100 worth of drivers in both speakers. Add $20 for the PVC, and $3 for a can of krylon, and you're one simple crossover short of your own $2500 pair of esoteric speakers.

I need to come up with a gimmick so that I can get rich.

Hide this!Advertise here!