recomend a fostex driver and enclosure...plz...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello! i've been working with cheaper speaker projects for a while now and i think that i'm ready to commit some serious cash into a project...

i thought about building some d3s because of the lower cost drivers it uses...but after thinking that over i decided that it would probobly be much better value and easier just to get some nice fostex drivers and build a spiffy enclosure.

i'm pretty sure that i'll be getting the fe166e because that seems to be in my price range.

but i must make a confession...don't get me worng, i loooove classical/celtic music very very much, but what i listen to mostly is techno :xeye: before you start rolling your eyes at least listen to some of the "chemical brothers", my recomendation would be "the sunshine underground"

will these speakers perform well for that as well? i don't really see the need to go down to 20 or even 30 hz for music...

how low will the fe166e get in fostex's rear horn enclosure?

and what other enclosures are there that would work for this driver?

i'm open to other driver suggestions, but i'd like to keep the cost for drivers below 140 bucks for now, maybe adding a super tweeter later...

thank you so much

A Bob Brines FT1600 (FE167E) or Martin King Project 5 (FE206E or FE207E) will get you into the 40Hz or lower department no problem. I play The Chemical Brothers, GusGus, Apollo 440, etc. on my FE207E pipes and they can rock jus' fine thank you.
BTW, I think The Sunshine Underground is an excellent composition and especially like when the bass disappears, leaves you hanging in the air momentarily and then catches you again.
Good stuff!:cool:

Timn8ter said:
A Bob Brines FT1600 (FE167E) or Martin King Project 5 (FE206E or FE207E) will get you into the 40Hz or lower department no problem. I play The Chemical Brothers, GusGus, Apollo 440, etc. on my FE207E pipes and they can rock jus' fine thank you.
BTW, I think The Sunshine Underground is an excellent composition and especially like when the bass disappears, leaves you hanging in the air momentarily and then catches you again.
Good stuff!:cool:

morbo said:
Nothing wrong with techno, whats left of the good stuff anyways.

Any particular reason you only want fostex?

wow...i was under the impression that most of the people here listened to "real" music...:cool: but thats totally cool!

the reason i'm mostly interested in a fostex is that i've never heard anything bad about em, i've never built a horn or a t-line and it sounds like a fun project...i'd rather build a horn tho...

also the efficiency of the fostex is a nice selling point for me...i'm working on a gainclone to go with these. one page said that they could get uncomfortably loud at 5 watts:cool:

if there is something in the same price range (120 for wooferS) that is better (that doesn't require an xover) the by all means tell me!

i'm not limiting myself to fostex, i've just read so many good things about em that they sounded like they would be my best bet...

soooooo, anything else?

So... you want $120 max, no crossover?

The only thing that concerns me is- how LOUD do you want to go? The fostex ought to go reasonably loud, or reasonably low, but a 6 inch driver with 1.5 mm xmax can only do so much bass.

I would encourage you to do them, but I would also suggest that putting them into the suggested bass reflex box and then building a powered sub would be an even better solution.

You could do the FE167Es now, and build the sub later. Building a fostex enclosure that _can_ go low now won't keep you from using it with a sub later.

Sometimes the chemical brothers just rock my world. Back in the day, I worked at a radio shack and would often have a shift alone. There were slow days with literally 5 or 6 customers, and I would play Piku with the radio shack 12" powered sub all the way up and knock dust out of the ceiling :devilr:

Full range speakers are good, but dedicated subwoofers are awesome for techno. (if you like it loud)

nerd of nerds said:

also the efficiency of the fostex is a nice selling point for me...i'm working on a gainclone to go with these. one page said that they could get uncomfortably loud at 5 watts:cool:

if there is something in the same price range (120 for wooferS) that is better (that doesn't require an xover) the by all means tell me!

i'm not limiting myself to fostex, i've just read so many good things about em that they sounded like they would be my best bet...

soooooo, anything else?

The Fostex FE166E and 206E are likely best suited for use with a tube amp. I have heard some reports of Fostex drivers not sounding so hot with a gainclone.

You can likely get some decent power output from a gainclone, so you don't really need a high efficiency driver. Given your intended amp and musical preference, don't discount some of the nice two-way project out there that can fit in your price range.

Good luck,
Gio.

Just finished the Bob Brines FT1600 MK II a couple of weeks ago. Listening to the Fight Club soundtrack (Chemical Bros), they do OK on the base notes with my SS receiver (Onkyo SV500) --- they are fast and clean. I really like serious bass with this kind of music and augment with a home grown dual 15-inch infinite baffle sub (google Cult of the Infinitely Baffled). It's good and loud without the sub but with the sub you get the serious feel of the bass. I am crossing over at 40Hz so just bringing in the bottom end with the sub.

wow...i was under the impression that most of the people here listened to "real" music... but thats totally cool!

One of the funniest comments I've read on this forum went something like "I listen to a wide range of music, from rap to light rock". :rolleyes:
Most of the people on this forum LOVE music and genre is less important than good recordings and talented artists.
I recommend the 206 or 207 over the smaller drivers for your listening preferences. Adding a super tweet like the FT17H is simple and can be done with a cap and L-pad.

Once again, I'll second Tim's recomendation. To me it seems like electronic music relies heavily on the bass line, and sounds best with a speaker capabale of delievering a large dynamic range. The larger 8" drivers are better in terms of dynamics and bass, and my guess is that you'll be much happier with these. Of course the six inch drivers are very nice, and I'm sure you would be happy with either.
Joe

nerd of nerds said:

i'm pretty sure that i'll be getting the fe166e because that seems to be in my price range.

how low will the fe166e get in fostex's rear horn enclosure?

and what other enclosures are there that would work for this driver?

i'm open to other driver suggestions, but i'd like to keep the cost for drivers below 140 bucks for now, maybe adding a super tweeter later...

thank you so much

howdy mister...

just got the very same setup you are talking about. 166e and bk-17.

i am currently building them, and i will report back. see the recent thread by the same title for all the details...

Just as an aside, I have been surprised more than once by the lack of low bass in many techno songs. I've gotten all prepared, fired up the vented Tempest and not much has happened. There's actually more low bass in the "jazz" recording "Monty Meets Sly and Robbie" than most other recordings I've heard. I wonder if the engineers/artists are focusing more on the mid-bass in the techno stuff. Probably off topic. Sorry.

Tim - that is a good point. In fact, I've read several articles by 'respected' techno producers who inisist on putting a 50hz lowpass on everything!! The fact is, most techno is masterd for PA gear, not home hifi, with a few notable exceptions such as Orbital and Shpongle.

I actually do a fair bit of mixing using my hifi as monitors, and its quite irritating how much eqing and compressing/limiting I have to do when trying to mix well mastered techno with the 'regular' stuff.

Timn8ter said:
Just as an aside, I have been surprised more than once by the lack of low bass in many techno songs. I've gotten all prepared, fired up the vented Tempest and not much has happened. There's actually more low bass in the "jazz" recording "Monty Meets Sly and Robbie" than most other recordings I've heard. I wonder if the engineers/artists are focusing more on the mid-bass in the techno stuff. Probably off topic. Sorry.

morbo said:
Tim - that is a good point. In fact, I've read several articles by 'respected' techno producers who inisist on putting a 50hz lowpass on everything!! The fact is, most techno is masterd for PA gear, not home hifi, with a few notable exceptions such as Orbital and Shpongle.

I actually do a fair bit of mixing using my hifi as monitors, and its quite irritating how much eqing and compressing/limiting I have to do when trying to mix well mastered techno with the 'regular' stuff.

good to know...my neighbor has some really nice synthesizers and has been teaching me how to use em :cool:

the more i think about this the more i'm willing to spend the extra cash on the fe206...in fact, i think i've seen those on ebay go for about my price range...but if i don't see any i'll just order from madisound, that is unless there is a cheaper place to get em in the usa?

but before i commit to this, whats the word on the fostex ff165k? i haven't really seen any projects using this driver...is there a good reason for this?

how high can the 206 go? my ears are kinda sensetive to the higher frequencies :dead: so i don't really see that much need to add the tweeter...although you guys know better than me
:cannotbe:

correct me if i'm wrong...

it is my understanding that fostex drivers are from japan? so they would have to be imported from japan?

if that is the case then would it be possible to get them cheaper there?

because i just found out that my sister is going to japan in a few months and i thought that maybe she could bring some nice(er) fostex drivers back for me...

Re: correct me if i'm wrong...

nerd of nerds said:
it is my understanding that fostex drivers are from japan? so they would have to be imported from japan?

if that is the case then would it be possible to get them cheaper there?

because i just found out that my sister is going to japan in a few months and i thought that maybe she could bring some nice(er) fostex drivers back for me...

they have all this stuff on the akihabara in tokyo, but i don't know the current prices...you'd have to check

madisound is pretty cheap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.