recomend a fostex driver and enclosure...plz... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2004, 01:56 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
wow...i was under the impression that most of the people here listened to "real" music... but thats totally cool!
One of the funniest comments I've read on this forum went something like "I listen to a wide range of music, from rap to light rock".
Most of the people on this forum LOVE music and genre is less important than good recordings and talented artists.
I recommend the 206 or 207 over the smaller drivers for your listening preferences. Adding a super tweet like the FT17H is simple and can be done with a cap and L-pad.
Old 17th December 2004, 05:25 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Once again, I'll second Tim's recomendation. To me it seems like electronic music relies heavily on the bass line, and sounds best with a speaker capabale of delievering a large dynamic range. The larger 8" drivers are better in terms of dynamics and bass, and my guess is that you'll be much happier with these. Of course the six inch drivers are very nice, and I'm sure you would be happy with either.
Joe
Old 17th December 2004, 06:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: recomend a fostex driver and enclosure...plz...

Quote:
Originally posted by nerd of nerds

i'm pretty sure that i'll be getting the fe166e because that seems to be in my price range.

how low will the fe166e get in fostex's rear horn enclosure?

and what other enclosures are there that would work for this driver?

i'm open to other driver suggestions, but i'd like to keep the cost for drivers below 140 bucks for now, maybe adding a super tweeter later...

thank you so much

howdy mister...

just got the very same setup you are talking about. 166e and bk-17.

i am currently building them, and i will report back. see the recent thread by the same title for all the details...
Old 17th December 2004, 07:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just as an aside, I have been surprised more than once by the lack of low bass in many techno songs. I've gotten all prepared, fired up the vented Tempest and not much has happened. There's actually more low bass in the "jazz" recording "Monty Meets Sly and Robbie" than most other recordings I've heard. I wonder if the engineers/artists are focusing more on the mid-bass in the techno stuff. Probably off topic. Sorry.
Old 17th December 2004, 09:57 PM   #15
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tim - that is a good point. In fact, I've read several articles by 'respected' techno producers who inisist on putting a 50hz lowpass on everything!! The fact is, most techno is masterd for PA gear, not home hifi, with a few notable exceptions such as Orbital and Shpongle.

I actually do a fair bit of mixing using my hifi as monitors, and its quite irritating how much eqing and compressing/limiting I have to do when trying to mix well mastered techno with the 'regular' stuff.
Old 17th December 2004, 10:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tim - that is a good point. In fact, I've read several articles by 'respected' techno producers who inisist on putting a 50hz lowpass on everything!! The fact is, most techno is masterd for PA gear, not home hifi, with a few notable exceptions such as Orbital and Shpongle.
Thanks for that. I didn't think I had lost my marbles...yet.
Old 17th December 2004, 10:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Just as an aside, I have been surprised more than once by the lack of low bass in many techno songs. I've gotten all prepared, fired up the vented Tempest and not much has happened. There's actually more low bass in the "jazz" recording "Monty Meets Sly and Robbie" than most other recordings I've heard. I wonder if the engineers/artists are focusing more on the mid-bass in the techno stuff. Probably off topic. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by morbo

I actually do a fair bit of mixing using my hifi as monitors, and its quite irritating how much eqing and compressing/limiting I have to do when trying to mix well mastered techno with the 'regular' stuff.

good to know...my neighbor has some really nice synthesizers and has been teaching me how to use em

the more i think about this the more i'm willing to spend the extra cash on the fe206...in fact, i think i've seen those on ebay go for about my price range...but if i don't see any i'll just order from madisound, that is unless there is a cheaper place to get em in the usa?

but before i commit to this, whats the word on the fostex ff165k? i haven't really seen any projects using this driver...is there a good reason for this?

how high can the 206 go? my ears are kinda sensetive to the higher frequencies so i don't really see that much need to add the tweeter...although you guys know better than me
Old 17th December 2004, 11:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The FF165K, while listed as a "full range" driver drops off pretty early which is why you'll see it paired with a super tweeter. The 206/207 does a little better and many people use them without a tweeter.
Old 19th December 2004, 12:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default correct me if i'm wrong...

it is my understanding that fostex drivers are from japan? so they would have to be imported from japan?

if that is the case then would it be possible to get them cheaper there?

because i just found out that my sister is going to japan in a few months and i thought that maybe she could bring some nice(er) fostex drivers back for me...
Old 19th December 2004, 12:50 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Re: correct me if i'm wrong...

Quote:
Originally posted by nerd of nerds
it is my understanding that fostex drivers are from japan? so they would have to be imported from japan?

if that is the case then would it be possible to get them cheaper there?

because i just found out that my sister is going to japan in a few months and i thought that maybe she could bring some nice(er) fostex drivers back for me...
they have all this stuff on the akihabara in tokyo, but i don't know the current prices...you'd have to check

madisound is pretty cheap

Hide this!Advertise here!