sealed / vented / or TL for fullrange??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It depends!!

it really depends!

Bass is the limiting factor with a small full range driver- a lot of people use large back-loaded horns to augment the bass in a small full range driver. A lot of back loaded horns are really closer to expanding transmission lines (the expansion doesn't really match what a horn of that tuning should be, from what I've heard)

How loud do you want to play? How low do you want to play?

I've heard great things about sealed jordans in the nearfield with a subwoofer.

Dipole is cool, but then a subwoofer is (in my opinion) completely mandatory.

which one though?

If I were to pick the CSS or the Jordan... which one is a really good driver for tube amplification?

The CSS is a bit cheaper in cost than the Jordan.... and maybe better to go with...

could even supplement with a piezo or something for 15K and above...

Unless your tube amp has quite a bit more power than most I would look for something more effecient. With effeciencies in the mid 80's, I would think you would want at least 50watts of power. Of course you can listen to ineffecient speakers on low powered tube amps, but if your buying speakers for a tube amp I would certainly think you would be happier with something more effecient. BTW Tim, I believe I read that you bought a pair of the CSS WR125S, how do you like them? I heard a pair of Jordans for the first time in Atlanta, and I was quite impressed, not the most dynamic speaker ever, but quite musical.
Joe

I love the WR125S. As any driver, it performs better in some applications than others. I don't believe power is necessarily an issue unless we're talking about flea power SETs. I drive a pair in the recommended 7 liter BR with a Sonic Impact T amp (10w/ch) and it kicks hard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.