Just placed my pre-order.. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2004, 10:47 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

You are correct abput the 208ss, it looked like a 208 Sigma but with a larger dual magnet motor. There was also the 208es which had a similar double magnet motor but it was more poweful. Neither of these were special in the materials used in the motor assemblies a.f.a.i.k.
This is purely conjecture on my part but I think if we over here in the West want to have a chance at getting these J.D.M. drivers in thew future we better buy out the 170 pairs available from Madisound. Why do I believe Madisound really went all out in trying to get these 166ES-R's?
I had forgotten about the brass rings, I understand their purpose but as you say the price! I wanted to get a pair to try but cannot justify the cost.

Andrew
Old 19th December 2004, 01:00 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Andrew - it's Chistmas buy yourself a present and worry about "buyers remorse" later - you deserve it.

I had planned a back loaded horn project for later 2005 but why miss an opportunity to try this "gem"? You'll regret not placing an pre-order when we all start reporting results in a few months!
Old 19th December 2004, 05:38 AM   #23
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greenie512
Andrew - it's Chistmas buy yourself a present and worry about "buyers remorse" later - you deserve it.

I had planned a back loaded horn project for later 2005 but why miss an opportunity to try this "gem"? You'll regret not placing an pre-order when we all start reporting results in a few months!
yup, thats pretty much what I told myself when I started giving Josh my creditcard number. This is despite having no real desire to do a fullrange-driver based loudspeaker, (it simply was just to good to pass-up).
Old 20th December 2004, 11:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys,
I was trying to talk myself into buying 2 pairs today (i enjoy speaking to intelligent people) :-) but somehow still cannot convice myself. I realize I could always sell them if I wanted to but they are not really what I want.
All I want for Christmas is a new FE208ES replacement ta la la la la la la la laaaaa.....

Andrew
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Okay,
in a moment of weakness (or perhaps enlightenment ) I ordered a pair.

Andrew
Old 30th December 2004, 11:27 PM   #26
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I oredered a pair, and as luck would have it my wife couldn't get me a christmas gift so I have full permision to build anything I want...no matter how big it is. I'm going to build the biggest horns I can fit through our door.
Old 31st December 2004, 12:54 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illusus
I oredered a pair, and as luck would have it my wife couldn't get me a christmas gift so I have full permision to build anything I want...no matter how big it is. I'm going to build the biggest horns I can fit through our door.

You are on the right track in that line of thinking IMO, however you may find that "as large as will fit through the door' may be inbadequately small as I did with a similar dilema based on basement stairs. In my situation I opted to make the large full-range horns in two pieces that could fit the available passageway and once in their home position be simply bolted together.

Married guys don't often get 'permission' to "build anything you want", so I wouldn't waste this opportunity to do something really spectacular!
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 31st December 2004, 03:04 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

don't show her a picture of these:

http://www.firstwatt.com/images/curr...dx55_kline.PDF
Old 31st December 2004, 03:51 AM   #29
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

heh, kleinhorns are damn huge.
Just big enough to fit through my door is perfect for me...our place is fairly small, I don't want to put anything too big in here (I know too big is kind of an oxymoron to most). Actually my wife is pretty understanding about these things, more so than anybody I've met so far. I don't like designing in my shop so I usually have stuff strewn all over the living room, drafting supplies, cardboard mock ups...etc. she's cool with it all.

I'm probably going to stick with 6' maybe 7' tall, 4' deep, 3' -4' wide...something like that should be as obtrusive as I will allow in this apartament (laff).
Old 31st December 2004, 07:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

How about something like TC's I-BEN?

http://www.cain-cain.com/I-BEN/index.html

I'd kind'a like to see this with glass panals on the sides to show the "horn" profile. (should also make the speakers less visually imposing but a LOT heavier..)

Hide this!Advertise here!