Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
I have Bluetak, Plasticine and Miliput here. Miliput is a two-part putty that sets hard when mixed together. It should damp and strengthen the basket! :smash:

The 2-part epoxy can be used at the magnet-basket junction to strngthen it up... the goal with the rest is to have something that never goes hard. I've taken ductseal i 1st applied 25 years ago and recycled it and it is still pretty much the same as the stuff freah out of the package.

Bluetack is probably best of what is on hand... plasticine will harden up (but it takes quite awhile -- it is also more colorful -- that is plasticine i used on the dubloons.

dave

Good morning Dave. I have been busy as you can see here.

Last night, the cones got two coats of diluted white PVA glue.

First job this morning was to thoroughly clean the basket and magnet with isopropanol alcohol.

Then I took some thin self-adhesive cork and stuck it to the underside of the four spider legs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You can just see the cork and apologies for the out of focus shot.

Next I moulded the Milliput between the magnet and basket before adding the Bluetak which as you can see doesn't have to be blue any more! ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

While I had the drivers out, I also added some of the self-adhesive cork sheet to the divider panel that comes just behind the driver.

I have also done another mod but I may not get permission to show it. :(

Finally, I made some damping for the whizzers. It looks pretty rough in this close up but it's damn difficult to cut that foam so small!

And the results? Well, the Milliput is still hardening but there is a clear improvement all round. There is still a slight sibilence on female voices but overall, I would be proud to demo these speakers in any company, bearing in mind of course how much they have cost me! I had to buy the coloured Bluetak so the cost has risen to £1 although I have enough Bluetak to do quite a few more drivers! :cool:

I hope that I still quality as a Frugalphile! :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Nuuk And the results? Well, the Milliput is still hardening but there is a clear improvement all round. There is still a slight sibilence on female voices but overall, I would be proud to demo these speakers in any company

Certainly Frugal-phile(tm) still .... i can't help but think of the guys coming in & wanting to drop a kilobuck on a 1st set of DIY... making a close to free project sound totally enjoyable gives me much more satisfaction.

The female voice thing may require a dustcapectomy.... and then look around for some dowel, lipstick container, socket head. pen cap -- even a pile of felt for a phase plug.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
The cone is a shiney sort of plastic. I could cut it out and make up some plugs using the same method that I used for making wooden knobs for the Gainclones.

Presumably, I use a sharp scalpel and cut round the base of the whizzer. How do I fix in the plugs? :xeye:

The dustcap you mean? Use the scapel and start in the centre... look here, surgery done on a RS40-1354

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL/1354-surgery/1354-surgery.html

When you do the plugs you want the tip to reach out just beyond the edge of the whizzer.

dave

Nah, those crazy canucks slaughter the language in their own way. Ask one of them to say "About" or "House".. And musn't forget their favorite -- Hoser! Oh my, good times! I love our crazy neighbors to the north (i'm sure they love their crazy weirdos to the south, too).

That said, Dave, you're evil. I'm pretty much always on the lookout for stuff that can modded phrugalphile style. I need to find me some full range drivers to play with!

Unfortunately, I have the woodworking skills of a beaver with no teeth -- I can't do much with the stuff.. Mostly due to space restrictions at the ol' apartment.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
Now, I know that lot in the USA have messed our language about but I had hoped you Canadians would still have the same meanings as us! :D

We pretty much get to pick & choose between our European heritage (heavily Brit) & our neighbors to the south to create our own rich (& twisted) idiom -- what other country has a dubloon as a unit of currency (althou more often called a twoonie, so the idiots could say loonie-twoonie)....

dave