Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2015, 11:21 PM   #751
ADCAB is offline ADCAB  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Very interesting speakers! What happens if I place 2pcs W3-871B instead of one?
Old 7th April 2015, 03:20 PM   #752
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'll loose a bit of LF gain; have greater overall dynamic range available and either half or double the impedance load, so either +6dB effective or same SPL depending on whether you wire them in series or parallel.
Old 8th July 2015, 02:29 PM   #753
hifu is offline hifu  United States
diyAudio Member

It seems like this design is less sensitive to driver parameters than say a typical bass reflex design. People seem to get good results using pretty much any driver. But how far can it be stretched? I'm thinking of building a 1.5-way using RS100-8 drivers--would this cabinet design need much tweaking?
Old 15th August 2015, 03:50 AM   #754
williamcoleman is offline williamcoleman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cyburgs with Tang Band W3-1878 instead ??

I'm a newbie speaker builder who would appreciate some advice. Also please forgive me if my project seems like an exercise in overkill--kind of the opposite of the usual DIY ethic of using as little as possible to get the best results possible. I would like to build the Needles according to the plans at SPLIBS, using baltic birch plywood, as my office system, running from a DIY mod/rebuild Dynaco ST-70 that I'm already committed to.

The Tang Band driver that many people have used is the W3-871SC 3" (Parts Express listing and specs), which is now apparently discontinued. I would replace it with the W3-1878 3" bamboo (Parts Express listing and specs -- and also further description here) -- unless someone can suggest a driver that is better sounding or significantly more efficient (for possible later use with SET). I've searched and a few people on the web seem to have tried this combination, but there are no details.

Are the specs of the w3-1878 close enough to those of the w3-871 that I could use the plans as-is, other than just adjusting the size of the driver cut-out? Or is there some simple mod (different port size? taller box? wider? etc.) that would make it work better?

Also, would I likely need a notch filter? Could someone explain how to wire and install one?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 15th August 2015, 04:12 AM   #755
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I traced the spl of the W3-871 (tangbands 100db scale makes it look smoother) but even on a 50db scale I can't see anywhere where you would be putting a notch, other than maybe 250 Hz which would probably be impractical, unless you were thinking above 12Khz??

I've no experience with this driver or the Cyburg needles though so take this with a grain of salt

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png TB-W3-1878.png (14.6 KB, 593 views)
Old 6th October 2015, 11:12 AM   #756
Cantunes is offline Cantunes  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hello guys. Has anyone calculated the Needles for Alpair 10.3?

Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871SHide this!Advertise here!