Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

ervington said:

How do you wire the speakers as bipole? Do I need four sets of speaker outputs, or can it be done with just two?

I can find how to wire things in series, in parallel, etc, but my internet search skills are apparently lacking since I can't figure out something that it seems everyone else knows how to do. Sorry for my ignorance.

~erv

bipole: for each cabinet, you require 2 drivers, facing away from each other (one in front, one at the back). wire them in parallel and in phase (+ to + , - to -) and connect to one set of binding posts (usually)

I tried to order the W3-871S from spectrumaudio.de, this is the reply:

"shippment cost for your country: for parcels -5,-10, -20 kg 30 - 35 - 45 EUR by ground ( sorry zone 2),
shipping cheaper with small parcel (<2kg, named "Päckchen") = 8,60 EUR, but no insurance and no certificate of sending, your risk.
best regards".

My question is: what are the risks without the insurance "but no insurance and no certificate of sending, your risk." (this sounds scary)? Has anybody ordered from Spectrumaudio?

I just ordered 2 tang bands from PE so I can make a set of these for myself. I was going to make a set of line arrays with the NSB's but I didn't have the cash at the moment and they sold out unfortunately :(

I hope these things sound as good as everyone says they do. I'm really excited about this project. It will be my first project besides build subwoofer boxes for cars.

As a fullranger these TangBands in the needles sound great. I built a pair and listened to them for about a month but decided I couldn't live without the lower octaves. Granted the needle plays low well, I am just a bass head.

I threw the same tangbands in the low distortion box that Zaph designed, and without the notch filter these things are very nice. I plan on XO them at around 500 hz, that way I can send them more than the 15 watts rms they are rated for.

To say the least though, the little things are amazing to listen to and to hear what a single speaker can do.

I plan on ordering a couple of the HiVi's that are Zaph's new favorite for my own comparison also.

Well I received my tang bands yesterday and started to build the box. It took around 1 hour to cut enough wood for 3 boxes. I have one built except for cutting the hole for the speaker terminals (I bought one that was too large) and putting the other side on.

I will finish both of them up tonight and put up a couple of pictures and my impressions on them.

40 minutes up and running a pair of TB W3 871S’s. When they arrived this afternoon I thought gawd what am I doing to do with those little b*ggers. Well actually the plan is to build a pair of Cyburg Needles.

Well I had a pair of BR boxes spare built to Fostex Spec for the FE 126e’s which now live in horn/BR cabs. So I quickly cut a pair of mounting plates from some rough ply – vola.

And from scratch I surprised how good this beauties sound out of the box. SPL is obviously a bit lacking but overall full range sound is good. And they are moving a bit of air through the ports – not bad as the box is 3-4 litres too big.

How about this for a title – Kitty “Tommy quickly get up, I can hear clogs coming down the street” Tommy “Well stick mine out and see if they’ll go with ‘em” – CD – Industry – Richard & Danny Thompson - track 5; heavy double bass from Danny. With these little things you can tell it is a double bass but don’t expect to be shaken out of your seat.

Attachments

• tb-w3.jpg
    tb-w3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,387
My Cyburgs

Recently got my cyburgs-needles up an running...all they need now is sanding and finishing. Built as near to specs as I could do using only a jigsaw and a dremel. My tool collection could use some work....some pictures:

http://static.flickr.com/50/144911660_b45f3dfeb7.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/45/144911661_ba6434c362.jpg (a lot of electronics mess in this pic...the sub is my girlfriend's for HT, no need to use it with the needles at all from what I can tell. The 2-ways are JBL S26's that I got in college and are my trusty party speakers)

VERY pleased with the results. Driving them with an SI T-amp for now. Can't wait to tweak a little more by adding the notch filter, getting them in the perfect spot in the room, maybe damping the driver basket. In comparison to my JBL S26's, the bass is more under control and a lot rounder, if that makes sense. They also sound a lot warmer than I expected. They're still breaking in. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread for the inspiration. I'm a giddy DIYer....

Now you should try them with a baffle, I have had fantastic results with this. This is a 13 inch baffle. If you do this, I would recommend a baffle of at least 2 1/4 inches thick with a 45 degree bevel for the first1.5 inches of it. It should also not be square really. Stop sign shape is good and round like a ball would be better. I also felted the front of the baffle and this cut back the shouty nature that the baffle can introduce. I am not by any means an expert with this but I have had great results with this project. The Needles are the ones on the right (obviously!).

Attachments

• pioneer in fonken.jpg
    pioneer in fonken.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,703