Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

There is nothing quite like the thrill of getting something for nothing!

Somebody gave me a pair of Pioneer 4 inch drivers and I had them lying around for a few months before connecting them to an amp and hearing that they sounded quite reasonable.

I had seen the Cyburgs design and adapted that by increasing the cabinet width by 25mm. I managed to find somebody throwing out some chipboard and spent a couple of days in my workshop. I already had glue, fibreglass insulating wool and wire so I didn't spend a penny on the whole project.

Last evening I connected them up and was an hour late for supper! They are not the best speakers that I have ever heard and my other speakers are better in several areas. But what they do, they do very well. Great imaging, a huge soundstage (deep and wide) and the speakers themselves are acoustically invisible.

I played some acoustic music first which was very good. With solo vocals, I get close to that 'being there' sensation. But I was surprised at how well they handle rock and orchestral music as well.

For the cost, effort, and time, these speakers have me smiling from ear to ear so a BIG thank you to Cyburgs for sharing his design.

PS - I was going to sling a quick coat of black paint over them but I think that they deserve something a bit better! ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
Somebody gave me a pair of Pioneer 4 inch drivers and I had them lying around for a few months before connecting them to an amp and hearing that they sounded quite reasonable.

I had seen the Cyburgs design and adapted that by increasing the cabinet width by 25mm. I managed to find somebody throwing out some chipboard and spent a couple of days in my workshop. I already had glue, fibreglass insulating wool and wire so I didn't spend a penny on the whole project.

Another set of official Frugal-phile(tm) speakers :)

Got close up pictures of the drivers? (including a snap of the back)

Some of these Pioneers were quite good, and most respond to a bit of tweaking.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nuuk said:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/tweeks.html

watered down white PVA wood glue is close enuff... dammar i find best on paper whizzers, but it is a widely used treatment. It would probably have little effect on the material of your whizzers.

98 cent tweak?

i no longer have a link to Marc Wauters original treatise.... but it is now used to name any tweak that creates a support for the edge of the whizzer and some damping for the cavity it forms with the cone. My prefered implementation is a thin piece (8-10mm) of very low density foam cut into a strip just wide enuff into friction fit around the whizzer with one cut edge against the edge of the whizzer and the other edge resting on the cone. You want to get away with as little as possible or you can kill the dynamics. (attached is a drawing i did just the other day to illustrate the 98 cent tweak)

learjet5-front_tn.jpg

You can just make it out in this pic (you can see one end not quite placed right -- i ended up cutting a fresh strip (pink to boot) -- these speakers are probably close relatives of yours, and yours could be put in the same class -- in UK you'd call it a 1 quid speaker.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/2buck.html

These really got me going on the path of "a pretty musical speaker can be made for almost nothing" path.

dave