howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yessir i was looking at that...

i was thinking FE166e and ft17h as opposed to the ones madisound chose but...i aint heard 'em ya know?

these look better to me on paper than the madisound choices.

and btw the dayton i posted, which oddly no one seems aware of, is pretty dang good.

i put 4 of 'em in a 16" cube, one on each face, with that cute tlwhateva25 tweeter for air....not too shabby!

check out the curves and specs! that wicked 10k peak is not so wicked in practice if you design 'em slightly off axis to your ear, and...just a wee cap for xover!

noisenyc said:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-330

i've been having some fun with it. anyone else?

also thinking about that fostex horn kit at nadisound but...different drivers fer sher unless i get a revelation from some experienced forum member ;)

I've got a pair of those in my closet. They are a clone of the MCM 55-1855, and I think they are actually made in the same factory, with the same cone and surround. Same response curve. Different frame. They will likely work with any crossover designed for the 55-1855, and there are lots out there.

The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz however, so they need to be crossed over low or "creatively" I did an MTM design with a Seas 27TFFC which was a low crossover frequency, and after a bit of digging I recalled Dan Wesnor's creative crossover using a notch filter for baffle step, allowing a slightly higher crossover point.

Oops, I just said the word crossover 4 times in the full range driver forum. :eek: Heheh Ok, I'm leaving now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?

Zaph said:

I've got a pair of those in my closet. They are a clone of the MCM 55-1855, and I think they are actually made in the same factory, with the same cone and surround. The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz however, so they need to be crossed over low or "creatively"...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hmmm "drops like a rock" i didn't hear that! my tweeter is crossed at like 13k and padded quite a bit, i chose that by ear, it meshed nicely with the top end of the speaker...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?

Zaph said:
The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz

The MCM 55-1855 i have done some work with... i don't find that they rolled off that quick -- particularily after a bit of modding (blue curve). (in box, uncalibrated mic)

dave

attachment

Attachments

• 55-1855.gif
    55-1855.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 282
Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?

planet10 said:

The MCM 55-1855 i have done some work with... i don't find that they rolled off that quick -- particularily after a bit of modding (blue curve). (in box, uncalibrated mic)

dave

Zaph said:
attachment

here's what zaph says about'em on his webpage, this is more like what i heard.

"Using a pair of MCM 55-1855 aluminum woofers and a Seas 27TFFC. These woofers are one of the all-time great values at $13 each. They required a low crossover point due to an early rolloff, which in turn required a tweeter with the ability to cross over low. Aside from that, these woofers are well behaved and sounded excellent at low to medium volumes. The response curve was almost a straight line, but intentionally tilted down a few db across the top 4 octaves. This gave a smooth, warm relaxing sound, particularly in larger or reflective rooms."

a few db tilt across the top four octaves is not a biggie to me. my ears prefer that to a ringing dome...

think these parts express ones sound better than the MCM's

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?

noisenyc said:

here's what zaph says about'em on his webpage, this is more like what i heard.

"Using a pair of MCM 55-1855 aluminum woofers and a Seas 27TFFC. These woofers are one of the all-time great values at $13 each. They required a low crossover point due to an early rolloff, which in turn required a tweeter with the ability to cross over low. Aside from that, these woofers are well behaved and sounded excellent at low to medium volumes. The response curve was almost a straight line, but intentionally tilted down a few db across the top 4 octaves. This gave a smooth, warm relaxing sound, particularly in larger or reflective rooms."

a few db tilt across the top four octaves is not a biggie to me. my ears prefer that to a ringing dome...

think these parts express ones sound better than the MCM's
I don't like people misinterpeting my words, so I have to reply. When I said the response curve was tilted down, it's because I intentionally added circuitry to the tweeter crossover to do this. It's not from running the woofer full range - That would sound both dull and piercing at the same time from the rolled off top end and breakup node. I crossed over at about 1800 hz.

The woofers are well behaved, but only below their intended crossover frequency.

To me the PE woofer sounds just like the MCM. No coincedence since they measure the same and are made the same.

If you would like a copy of my design docs, let me know and I'll email it to you.

noisenyc said:
mmm sorry i misunderstood the wording.

1800 hz, that IS low, you'd have to do a might steep xover to make a tweet happy w/ that...not my cup o joe but hey...to each his own, etc.

4th Order Linkwitz Riley. It only takes two components combine with the natural rolloff to get there. These Seas tweeters have some serious low frequency power handling balls.

Full range metal cone drivers are rare, but I've heard some people say the MCM 55-1291 is a little more suited to wide range use. I haven't measured one though.

Zaph said:

4th Order Linkwitz Riley. It only takes two components combine with the natural rolloff to get there. These Seas tweeters have some serious low frequency power handling balls.

Full range metal cone drivers are rare, but I've heard some people say the MCM 55-1291 is a little more suited to wide range use. I haven't measured one though.

well sir i would like to see those docs! sounds rather elegant!

i ASSumed that a 4th order would require the usual salad bowl of components.

i'm always up for learning new tricks...perhaps i'll whack a pair together as per your specs and see how i like it!

tia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.