diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/47343-howdy-pups-anyone-been-messing-one-dayton.html)

noisenyc 9th December 2004 07:29 AM

howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-330

i've been having some fun with it. anyone else?

also thinking about that fostex horn kit at nadisound but...different drivers fer sher unless i get a revelation from some experienced forum member ;)

planet10 9th December 2004 08:26 PM

Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
blackie...

the real problem is too many choices.

Have a gander at the full range reference thread

dave

Variac 9th December 2004 08:51 PM

Here's some Fostex action:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=46934

noisenyc 10th December 2004 12:50 AM

yessir i was looking at that...

i was thinking FE166e and ft17h as opposed to the ones madisound chose but...i aint heard 'em ya know?

these look better to me on paper than the madisound choices.

and btw the dayton i posted, which oddly no one seems aware of, is pretty dang good.

i put 4 of 'em in a 16" cube, one on each face, with that cute tlwhateva25 tweeter for air....not too shabby!

check out the curves and specs! that wicked 10k peak is not so wicked in practice if you design 'em slightly off axis to your ear, and...just a wee cap for xover!

Zaph 10th December 2004 02:40 AM

Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by noisenyc
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-330

i've been having some fun with it. anyone else?

also thinking about that fostex horn kit at nadisound but...different drivers fer sher unless i get a revelation from some experienced forum member ;)

I've got a pair of those in my closet. They are a clone of the MCM 55-1855, and I think they are actually made in the same factory, with the same cone and surround. Same response curve. Different frame. They will likely work with any crossover designed for the 55-1855, and there are lots out there.

The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz however, so they need to be crossed over low or "creatively" I did an MTM design with a Seas 27TFFC which was a low crossover frequency, and after a bit of digging I recalled Dan Wesnor's creative crossover using a notch filter for baffle step, allowing a slightly higher crossover point.

Oops, I just said the word crossover 4 times in the full range driver forum. :eek: Heheh Ok, I'm leaving now.

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/archives-14.jpg

noisenyc 10th December 2004 03:42 AM

Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Zaph


I've got a pair of those in my closet. They are a clone of the MCM 55-1855, and I think they are actually made in the same factory, with the same cone and surround. The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz however, so they need to be crossed over low or "creatively"...
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/archives-14.jpg

hmmm "drops like a rock" i didn't hear that! my tweeter is crossed at like 13k and padded quite a bit, i chose that by ear, it meshed nicely with the top end of the speaker...

planet10 10th December 2004 05:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Zaph
The response curve drops like a rock at 2300 hz
The MCM 55-1855 i have done some work with... i don't find that they rolled off that quick -- particularily after a bit of modding (blue curve). (in box, uncalibrated mic)

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/TLS...551855_mod.gif

dave

Zaph 10th December 2004 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
attachment

noisenyc 10th December 2004 01:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by planet10


The MCM 55-1855 i have done some work with... i don't find that they rolled off that quick -- particularily after a bit of modding (blue curve). (in box, uncalibrated mic)

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...551855_mod.gif

dave


Quote:

Originally posted by Zaph
attachment
here's what zaph says about'em on his webpage, this is more like what i heard.

"Using a pair of MCM 55-1855 aluminum woofers and a Seas 27TFFC. These woofers are one of the all-time great values at $13 each. They required a low crossover point due to an early rolloff, which in turn required a tweeter with the ability to cross over low. Aside from that, these woofers are well behaved and sounded excellent at low to medium volumes. The response curve was almost a straight line, but intentionally tilted down a few db across the top 4 octaves. This gave a smooth, warm relaxing sound, particularly in larger or reflective rooms."

a few db tilt across the top four octaves is not a biggie to me. my ears prefer that to a ringing dome...

think these parts express ones sound better than the MCM's

Zaph 10th December 2004 05:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: howdy pups, anyone been messing with this one from dayton?
 
Quote:

Originally posted by noisenyc

here's what zaph says about'em on his webpage, this is more like what i heard.

"Using a pair of MCM 55-1855 aluminum woofers and a Seas 27TFFC. These woofers are one of the all-time great values at $13 each. They required a low crossover point due to an early rolloff, which in turn required a tweeter with the ability to cross over low. Aside from that, these woofers are well behaved and sounded excellent at low to medium volumes. The response curve was almost a straight line, but intentionally tilted down a few db across the top 4 octaves. This gave a smooth, warm relaxing sound, particularly in larger or reflective rooms."

a few db tilt across the top four octaves is not a biggie to me. my ears prefer that to a ringing dome...

think these parts express ones sound better than the MCM's

I don't like people misinterpeting my words, so I have to reply. When I said the response curve was tilted down, it's because I intentionally added circuitry to the tweeter crossover to do this. It's not from running the woofer full range - That would sound both dull and piercing at the same time from the rolled off top end and breakup node. I crossed over at about 1800 hz.

The woofers are well behaved, but only below their intended crossover frequency.

To me the PE woofer sounds just like the MCM. No coincedence since they measure the same and are made the same.

If you would like a copy of my design docs, let me know and I'll email it to you.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2