TB W3-871 vs Hi-Vi B3S vs other small wide rangers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I just realized there is a full range driver forum here. I'm not a fan of full range drivers in the least bit, but I thought this might interest some of you. I posted over in loudspeakers main also.

I'll be running a full suite of tests on these drivers and posting the results:

Hi-Vi B3S
Hi-Vi A2S
TB W3-871
TB W2-880S
MCM 54-606 3" paper cone
MCM 54-609 3" aluminum cone

If anyone has any other small drivers they would like tested, they can be mailed to me, and then I'll send them back when testing is completed. The deadline for mailing drivers out is the end of this week so testing can procede next weekend. USA only.

Still looking for someone who has a Fostex FF85K or Aura NS3 that they want tested. Those drivers are particularly interesting to me. Fostex FE83 or 87 are accepted also, though I had a pair of FE87's in the past and performance was not good.

Email me for info - threepoint14159265358979323846@yahoo.com

Funny you should say that Zaph, as your site was the influence for many of us to be using the 871s for our puter systems. I don't think I'm the only one using mini arrays (two Elf 1.5s) on each side.

Crossed to a sub under the desk it's a nearfield monitor hard to beat. It could be the corner room placement that gives it additional lift, but it's also sometimes the preferred farfield reference for some people who come to audition my other projects.

You're looking for just 3 inch drivers, right?

Josephjcole said:

sheesh... are you trying to insult people?:xeye:

No. But just me having a preference of multi-driver systems will probably make some people feel bad. I am obviously currently dabling in wide range drivers, but it's for use as a filler driver in a transient perfect multiway system.

This is my last post in this forum. For those interested in the results of this comparison, look in another forum.

How can someone saying something 'isnt their cup of tea' be insulting :confused:

BTW, looks like madisound is now selling another Aurasound 3" driver, that looks a lot liek the TB871, fs of 125, response to 20hkz with a bump at 15khz. The price is certainly right... If anyone has any, send them to John ASAP ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.