4" or 5" full range driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2004, 09:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4" or 5" full range driver

I wouldn't say I want the moon on a stick but something close

I'm looking for a high quality 4" or 5" driver, low distortion, reasonable power handling [45w - 90w] that can reach between 80hz/100hz - 20Khz. It also has to be shielded for AV use.

I wonder if anyone could suggest likely manufacturers ?

cheers

SAB
Old 4th December 2004, 12:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The closest I can think of is the Fostex fe127. 4.5", shielded, you could almost reach a -3dB of 100Hz in a large sealed enclosure. I'm not so sure about 90watts though. But you really don't need to give it that much power to reach adequete levels. If you need more I would check out the fe167(you didn't specify a price range, but if you're willing to spend more check out the Jordans)
Joe
Old 4th December 2004, 02:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 4" or 5" full range driver

Quote:
Originally posted by smallangryboy
I wouldn't say I want the moon on a stick but something close

I'm looking for a high quality 4" or 5" driver, low distortion, reasonable power handling [45w - 90w] that can reach between 80hz/100hz - 20Khz. It also has to be shielded for AV use.

I wonder if anyone could suggest likely manufacturers ?

cheers

SAB
The Tang Band W4-930SA looks like it would fit your requirments.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-930sa.asp

4", Shielded, 40W RMS, 80W max, wide frequency response.

Cheers,
Gio.
Old 4th December 2004, 05:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
SAB,

You really need to factor in driver sensitivity into your search. Start with how loud do you want it to go. For example, a driver with 96db of sensitivity will go louder with 10watts than an 86db sensitivity driver with 80 watts. Each doubling of power only gets you 3bd more output from a driver.
Old 4th December 2004, 05:23 PM   #5
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

This thread seems to be heading that direction:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...481#post526481
Old 4th December 2004, 05:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The FE127E almost meets your criteria except for power handling. The CSS WR125S or the Jordan JX92S should work for you.
Old 5th December 2004, 02:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi There

I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd chime in here ..

I use JX 92 & I am very comfortable with them though I find they are best and more involving when driven.
The advantage of the jordan system is its modular so you can develop easily eg stage 1 92 / stage 2 add 125's / stage 3 add 53's. The whole lot can be driven reasonably well from a modest amp ~ I now use a Cyrus 1 but have used Arcam Alpha 5

Also I note you want 20 KHz ~ (regarding the frequency limitations of the JX 92 I've read about elsewhere in other threads) it is first your own hearing which is the limiting factor When I did a test I can only say i was stunned at my limit of 13.5 Khz only my 9 year old daughter could hear above 16 Khz. So can I ask how many of you have analysed your own hearing abilities?
(Takes courage to find out.)

I enclose a photo of the Linear Array JX 53 range coupled to pair JX 125

(The top box in birch ply is not part of my system .. for those that are real fans this box is 4 unit linear array & was made for the man himself Ted Jordan ~ designed for his lounge & to be wall mounted and placed about 2.4 m apart front angled 60 deg.
6 Litre enclosure for 53's & I think 60 L ported for the 125's ~

It's been my intention to redo the 125's into 45/50L sealed

My favourite set up is with the JX 92 & I use these with the 125's pictured without crossover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers 2r.jpg (71.7 KB, 790 views)
Old 5th December 2004, 05:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. In answer to your question, price isn't really a factor, quality of sound is. The speakers have to open, very natural sounding. I currently use Monitor Audio Silvers and I'm looking for the same sound.

This is the bit where everyone falls off their chair laughing, this is the design I want to build :

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

It isn't going to be straight forward and I'm going to have to rely heavily on help advice and other peoples skills, but I want to build a single driver closed design. I've included a render I've done of what it may loo like with a 4" driver, and sketch ideas of how it may be put together...
Old 5th December 2004, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Timn8ter

Just checked out the CSS website and it looks like these drivers may be the way forward, do you have any specific info on the CSS WR125S as there is none I could find on their site.

cheers
Old 5th December 2004, 06:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know the aspirations & have doodled similar ~

JX92 can fit into 3Litre ~ mine are in 6L

The problem with your design is in making it ~ you could try using a mould for resin & burning out / dissolving inner core
or if you are lucky you may find suitable premade container which you can adapt

Hide this!Advertise here!