4" or 5" full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4" or 5" full range driver

I wouldn't say I want the moon on a stick but something close :)

I'm looking for a high quality 4" or 5" driver, low distortion, reasonable power handling [45w - 90w] that can reach between 80hz/100hz - 20Khz. It also has to be shielded for AV use.

I wonder if anyone could suggest likely manufacturers ?

cheers

SAB

The closest I can think of is the Fostex fe127. 4.5", shielded, you could almost reach a -3dB of 100Hz in a large sealed enclosure. I'm not so sure about 90watts though. But you really don't need to give it that much power to reach adequete levels. If you need more I would check out the fe167(you didn't specify a price range, but if you're willing to spend more check out the Jordans)
Joe

Re: 4" or 5" full range driver

smallangryboy said:
I wouldn't say I want the moon on a stick but something close :)

I'm looking for a high quality 4" or 5" driver, low distortion, reasonable power handling [45w - 90w] that can reach between 80hz/100hz - 20Khz. It also has to be shielded for AV use.

I wonder if anyone could suggest likely manufacturers ?

cheers

SAB

The Tang Band W4-930SA looks like it would fit your requirments.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-930sa.asp

4", Shielded, 40W RMS, 80W max, wide frequency response.

Cheers,
Gio.

SAB,

You really need to factor in driver sensitivity into your search. Start with how loud do you want it to go. For example, a driver with 96db of sensitivity will go louder with 10watts than an 86db sensitivity driver with 80 watts. Each doubling of power only gets you 3bd more output from a driver.

Hi There

I'm new to this forum but I thought I'd chime in here ..

I use JX 92 & I am very comfortable with them though I find they are best and more involving when driven.
The advantage of the jordan system is its modular so you can develop easily eg stage 1 92 / stage 2 add 125's / stage 3 add 53's. The whole lot can be driven reasonably well from a modest amp ~ I now use a Cyrus 1 but have used Arcam Alpha 5

Also I note you want 20 KHz ~ (regarding the frequency limitations of the JX 92 I've read about elsewhere in other threads) it is first your own hearing which is the limiting factor When I did a test I can only say i was stunned at my limit of 13.5 Khz only my 9 year old daughter could hear above 16 Khz. So can I ask how many of you have analysed your own hearing abilities?
(Takes courage to find out.)

I enclose a photo of the Linear Array JX 53 range coupled to pair JX 125

(The top box in birch ply is not part of my system .. for those that are real fans this box is 4 unit linear array & was made for the man himself Ted Jordan ~ designed for his lounge & to be wall mounted and placed about 2.4 m apart front angled 60 deg.
6 Litre enclosure for 53's & I think 60 L ported for the 125's ~

It's been my intention to redo the 125's into 45/50L sealed

My favourite set up is with the JX 92 & I use these with the 125's pictured without crossover

Attachments

• speakers 2r.jpg
    speakers 2r.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 812
Thanks everyone for your advice. In answer to your question, price isn't really a factor, quality of sound is. The speakers have to open, very natural sounding. I currently use Monitor Audio Silvers and I'm looking for the same sound.

This is the bit where everyone falls off their chair laughing, this is the design I want to build :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It isn't going to be straight forward and I'm going to have to rely heavily on help advice and other peoples skills, but I want to build a single driver closed design. I've included a render I've done of what it may loo like with a 4" driver, and sketch ideas of how it may be put together...

I know the aspirations & have doodled similar ~

JX92 can fit into 3Litre ~ mine are in 6L

The problem with your design is in making it ~ you could try using a mould for resin & burning out / dissolving inner core
or if you are lucky you may find suitable premade container which you can adapt

smallangryboy said:
Timn8ter

Just checked out the CSS website and it looks like these drivers may be the way forward, do you have any specific info on the CSS WR125S as there is none I could find on their site.

cheers

I tried a few different enclosures and the best appears to be .25 cubic feet as they recommend on the website. In my testing they worked better with SS than tube but it may be my EL-34 push-pull is a bad match. I know others have used tubes and been ok. I don't see any reason why a sphere couldn't be used. I heard a pair of bowling balls housing Adire AV3s and they were marvelous.
The specs for the WR125S are found
here.

I'd go with some type of open back for "open" and "natural sounding". You're going to need stereo subs anyway. Construction becomes much more simple because some significant issues go away (focused reflections back to the cone, tiny volume to work with). A reasonable Q driver like that little Jordan should be able to get you down to 200hz or lower with a little EQ and retain that compact size or smaller.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've always liked spheres easthetically... i have a pr of Electrohome shperes loade dup with a close relative of the RS40-1197 and a set of Apple's crystal spheres with the 35mm Harmon odessey in them.

The CSS WR125 is a sweet driver -- you may find it a bit HF challenged, but it will certainly go low enuff. Getting 80-100 Hz at one end and 20k is a serious challenged -- in the real world you will need to compromise at one end.

The sphere lends itself to having a little nautilus-like housing on the top to hold one of those little nea 10mm (nominal) tweeters... one of the Gold Audaxes or even the ApexJr bargian T (althou some would scoff at adding a 50 cent tweeter to an expensive quaiFR, you might well be surprised).

dave

Attachments

• apple-crystalsphere.jpg
    apple-crystalsphere.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 621
I would be carefull of circular enclosures. Very aesthitically pleasing and good for diffraction, but internally can be a problem. I made some small sealed enclosures out of clay that were somewhat circular, they ended up having something around a -15dB dip at 1kHz, due to internal reflections. Just make sure to diffuse internal reflections. As far as drivers are concerned if money is not that big of a concern I would go for the Jordans.
Joe

Josephjcole said:
I would be carefull of circular enclosures. Very aesthitically pleasing and good for diffraction, but internally can be a problem. I made some small sealed enclosures out of clay that were somewhat circular, they ended up having something around a -15dB dip at 1kHz, due to internal reflections. Just make sure to diffuse internal reflections. As far as drivers are concerned if money is not that big of a concern I would go for the Jordans.
Joe

The inside doesn't have to be a sphere.

Timn8ter said:

The inside doesn't have to be a sphere.
This is a very important, and often overlooked, insight. Whole worlds have opened up to me since the time I realized that the outside of an enclosure doesn't have to be a larger version of the inside dimensions.

Right now I'm pursuing design ideas that take this into account while taking into consideration the effects, if any, that variable enclosure thicknesses may have on performance.

There are two questions right now, aside from that one: 1) I want the enclosure to look like x; what can I fit inside? 2) How will the driver be oriented in shape x?

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.