Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2004, 06:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smallangryboy
Timn8ter

Just checked out the CSS website and it looks like these drivers may be the way forward, do you have any specific info on the CSS WR125S as there is none I could find on their site.

cheers
I tried a few different enclosures and the best appears to be .25 cubic feet as they recommend on the website. In my testing they worked better with SS than tube but it may be my EL-34 push-pull is a bad match. I know others have used tubes and been ok. I don't see any reason why a sphere couldn't be used. I heard a pair of bowling balls housing Adire AV3s and they were marvelous.
The specs for the WR125S are found
here.
Old 5th December 2004, 06:37 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I'd go with some type of open back for "open" and "natural sounding". You're going to need stereo subs anyway. Construction becomes much more simple because some significant issues go away (focused reflections back to the cone, tiny volume to work with). A reasonable Q driver like that little Jordan should be able to get you down to 200hz or lower with a little EQ and retain that compact size or smaller.
Old 5th December 2004, 07:36 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've always liked spheres easthetically... i have a pr of Electrohome shperes loade dup with a close relative of the RS40-1197 and a set of Apple's crystal spheres with the 35mm Harmon odessey in them.

The CSS WR125 is a sweet driver -- you may find it a bit HF challenged, but it will certainly go low enuff. Getting 80-100 Hz at one end and 20k is a serious challenged -- in the real world you will need to compromise at one end.

The sphere lends itself to having a little nautilus-like housing on the top to hold one of those little nea 10mm (nominal) tweeters... one of the Gold Audaxes or even the ApexJr bargian T (althou some would scoff at adding a 50 cent tweeter to an expensive quaiFR, you might well be surprised).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apple-crystalsphere.jpg (19.7 KB, 593 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 02:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I would be carefull of circular enclosures. Very aesthitically pleasing and good for diffraction, but internally can be a problem. I made some small sealed enclosures out of clay that were somewhat circular, they ended up having something around a -15dB dip at 1kHz, due to internal reflections. Just make sure to diffuse internal reflections. As far as drivers are concerned if money is not that big of a concern I would go for the Jordans.
Joe
Old 6th December 2004, 04:35 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
I would be carefull of circular enclosures. Very aesthitically pleasing and good for diffraction, but internally can be a problem. I made some small sealed enclosures out of clay that were somewhat circular, they ended up having something around a -15dB dip at 1kHz, due to internal reflections. Just make sure to diffuse internal reflections. As far as drivers are concerned if money is not that big of a concern I would go for the Jordans.
Joe
The inside doesn't have to be a sphere.
Old 6th December 2004, 06:35 AM   #16
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
smallangryboy,
u could vent the rear of the sphere and bleed the air pressure.
Old 7th December 2004, 06:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default can't find w4-930sa

who has them?
Old 7th December 2004, 12:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: can't find w4-930sa

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbones
who has them?
Nobody in North America.
Old 7th December 2004, 03:06 PM   #19
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter

The inside doesn't have to be a sphere.
This is a very important, and often overlooked, insight. Whole worlds have opened up to me since the time I realized that the outside of an enclosure doesn't have to be a larger version of the inside dimensions.

Right now I'm pursuing design ideas that take this into account while taking into consideration the effects, if any, that variable enclosure thicknesses may have on performance.

There are two questions right now, aside from that one: 1) I want the enclosure to look like x; what can I fit inside? 2) How will the driver be oriented in shape x?

Dave
Old 7th December 2004, 06:12 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kneadle
while taking into consideration the effects, if any, that variable enclosure thicknesses may have on performance.

Variable wall thickness, in general should make it more difficualt for the walls to excite or sustain a resonance

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!