diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: looks greek to me

roystr said:
set of ratios with irrational numbers should support lower Q resonances. Anywhere there is the possibility of a standing wave, edge resonance, etc i'll choose a convienient irrational number (ie root(2), root(3), pi, e...).......

....im sure there must be a way to say what your saying in nice hobbiest english.

The simpliest way to try to describe an irrational number is to say that if written as a fraction it never ends & it never repaets itself. Square roots (or any root) of a prime number, plus many other irrational numbers can be easily pulled off a calculator (even more if it is scientific). The golden ratio is based on a number that is approximately 1.618.

What is nice about these numbers is that if you use them you tend to get dimnsions that don't support resonances as well.

Let's say we have a 2x1x1 box. if we can establish a resonace across the 1 width then we will have another the same across the 1 depth and the 2 reinforce them. In this box the length is an integer (Whole numbers) multiple of the 1 dimensions (ie 2x1) so it also supports that same resonace.

So of the 3 big standing waves we have 2 at the same frequency that is reinforced by the 3rd. so we have 1 monster resonance peak. By shanging the lengths of the box so that none are integer mulriples of one another we can spread the 3 resonances out and decrease their peaks.

An irrational number is just one that most of the time helps spread the resonances out in a nice non-uniform way (well most of the time -- a box with ratio (1/sqrt(2):1:sqrt(2)) ends up being 1:1.414159:2).

Re: looks greek to me

roystr said:

i read..well i flipped through the pages of the speaker cookbook,,,,i didnt see one page i could make any sense out of. and now you guys talking the same language..sheesh.
im sure there must be a way to say what your saying in nice hobbiest english.
roy

While the DIY-loudspeaker dialect of 'Audiospeak' might sound obscure and like Greek to you, there is one thing you can be sure of: As with Greek itself, it's just the language, not the concepts. If a couple of Greeks talk about a basketball banking off the backboard, taking a turn around the rim, and going through the hoop, that will definitely sound like Greek—but it's just basketball.

I agree with you that there certainly could be more concept-clarifying and term-defining literature available to hobbiests—and maybe there is, and somebody will turn us both onto it, or maybe its day is coming. In any case, I thought you might find this Audio Glossary at DIY Audio Corner helpful in the meantime. I did.

Best of success to you,
Don

thanks guys.

and the link to the glossery was a good read as well.

the thing is,to me its not the words so much as all the math. math,ratios,...then you got "fs" and "qes" and the rest. i have read the deffinitions of a few of them,,, but in my mind i have no idea what they mean in relation to each other.

thanx anyways,,,eventualy ill get the hang of it.

peace,
roy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MPM said:
Has anyone built the folded monopole cabinet design on post #70 or #131? I'll be using a sub for lower enhancement and I was wondering which one would be better with a sub.

Scott built a pr. They sound good. the cosmetics on his pr are spectatacular.

dave

Attachments

• fe127e-folded-mltl-front.jpg
    fe127e-folded-mltl-front.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,905
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
johninCR said:
May I ask what was the cause of death? I only have 1 pair and would like to keep them out of the graveyard. Did you come up with any easy cone or dustcap mods that were effective? Puzzlecoat, etc.?

4 died while cleaning up after dustcap removal... we will not be producing a phase plug for FE126/127e (and the same problem likely exists for FE103E) see http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fe127.html.

The other 2 died from the failure of 1 channel of a miniA (bipoles). Voice coils glowing orange in the dark. They didn't like the full rail across them.

dave

Dead Mini A

Hello Chris Dave and others:

Fe127
Thanks for the nice comments on my Fe127 folded mono. I have not heard them for a while. The last time I heard them I was very impressed with quality of the mid range. The vocals were excellent and the high range was very smooth. Yah they are a little thin on the bass, no big deal though. I have a sub that we integrated into them to bring up the bottom end. For 2 channel audio I like them.

I am watching this Mini A concern closely.
I am just in the final stages of completing my own mini A. I spent the weekend finishing off the cabinetry for the casing. I thought I had done a pretty good job. I took it upstairs to show my wife. I asked her what she thought and she looked at the floor, shuffled around a bit, avoided eye contact, and said " It looks nice.... Well actually it looks like a microwave oven." Crushed, I returned to my lonely work shop to try another approach. Maybe this time it will look like a toaster or some other kitchen appliance!
I think I will wait a little while before firing this one up. I hope you get the problem figured out. Please keep me in the loop.

Good luck

After seeing Zaph's latest TMM with waveguide design over in the loudspeaker forum, I'm wondering if some type of waveguide would be beneficial with the 127 to clean up the top end. I was already planning to add a piece of hardwood in front of the driver, but can the shape of the front edge taper of the drive cutout make a beneficial difference? If so, how can I figure out the best shape?