diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Whats the replacement for this speaker if the driver (FE126/FE127) is no longer being manufactured?

Is it this?: Fostex FE126En Fullrange Speaker Driver (Transducer)

FF125wk is closest.

dave

The two drivers cited 126/127 shouldn't really be considered interchangeable in the first place, so choice of replacement would depend on the the enclosure design. The FE126EN is still in production, it'd be the 127 that would find FF125WK as most likely "replacement" - noting that designs for the 127 might need some tweaking to tuning when using the new driver.

The narrow folded monopole... i've heard 2 versions of this, both are good. Inspired by the FE126 TL/BR hybrid, Chris implemented an interesting presentation (in getting finish right now, pics to follow)

Would the port need some lengthening from the specified 1.5" when using a flared duct as sold by Madisound? How much would be in the ballpark?

The Madisound Speaker Store

(makes it easier to get a good fit between cabinet and using otherwise just a piece of PVC pipe)

Thanks!

Would the port need some lengthening from the specified 1.5" when using a flared duct as sold by Madisound? How much would be in the ballpark?

The Madisound Speaker Store

(makes it easier to get a good fit between cabinet and using otherwise just a piece of PVC pipe)

Thanks!

To answer your question, yes it should be longer to compensate for the flair of the vent. When calculating the correct length for a flared vent, most add 1/3 (to 1/2) the length (depth) of the flair to calculate the overall length. Since I use a round-over bit to create the flair in the cabinet, I then add a PVC tube on the inside for a test measurement. If it's good, I mix epoxy and install the vent tube permanently.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Mounted on a wall, i'd go with the straight monopole... the folded one is to give an option that is more "normal" cosmetically

We asked that question too... Why would we build a Fonken if the diyA ref was even close, so we compared the diyA ref folded monopole we built for Chris' mom to a set of Fonken, We are still building Fonken. Ir has more finese and control... and certainly enuff to warrant the extra effort.

What amp do you have?

dave

I've just been looking at MJK's alignment tables. It appears that since the original monopole was designed more knowledge has become available and that it is better to mount the driver 0.349 * the length from one end rather than halfway.

The upshot of this is that with the folded monopole it is better to extend the divider down to the bottom and mount the driver approx 290 mm from the bottom keeping everything else the same. Models better in the worksheets too.

The embarrassment of riches in terms of the quality and range of drivers, measurement and modelling technologies - not to mention DSP - now available to the DIYer has I think been surpassed only by the exponential growth in the cottage industry of punditry thereof.
“Howdy Internet peeps, I’ve got high speed service and a pile of half baked and disruptive theories, so you’re welcome. Oh, and don’t forget to like and subscribe”

...i smile. (Big Smile) ( cannot subscribe... due to my 'car' being 'disappeared'. ) > regardless of that... I still have to figure out 'What's real and what is S'not'. > these forums are good. I have to hear it. ? (and get better DSP processing? ) curiosity never kills a cat. Onward>