diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

what a long read. is there a plan or

drawing yet??

im new so im just gonna toss ina guess here.

say i have 2 of the FE127E drivers. how would they work in a "voigt" type of enclosure?? and if that would be fine,is there a size ? or as long as the shape is the same would that get me close enough for some decent sound? i like the idea of one driver,for alot of reasons,one of witch is i have no idea about crossovers yet. my box building skills arent all that good,but i have a table saw,and chisels,a few small palnes,and the pile of miscelanius stuff in the garage.
i sure would like a plan and ive been talking to "timn8ter" and we kinda came up with a toss up between a book shelf type,and i think,something like the voigt. he called it something else though. in fact,he sent me this link and told me it was a long one,but he didnt tell me it wasent finished... hahahahaha

well i feel like i know a few of ya now,after reading this for a few hours.

take care,

roy

Hi Roy!
Yeah, I left out the fact that this is very much a work in progress. The design I had in mind for you was this one.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=528487&stamp=1102449671
Granted, no one has built it yet but the simulations look very good. Having played around with similar designs I'm confident it will sound quite nice. The important piece that probably needs to be discussed for this one is baffle step compensation. Those who have indicated so far that they are building something are going for the bipole design which needs no BSC circuit. Here are two links that give good descriptions of baffle step compensation.

http://www.trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm

http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Sizing.pdf

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Another point is made by the Omega speakers. He sells conventional and bi-pole models. I still think our early idea of having a module that can be used back to back to create a bi-pole, or placed against a wall, or wired different ways is a great idea. I guess it would need to be reasonably shallow, so I withdraw my demands that it be a narrow tower. ;)

IIUC the omega bipole is 2 monopoles placed back-to-back.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
about this baffle step...

if what im reading,i understand,the smaller the baffle,the smaller the step. thats why when the speaker gets closer to the wall, the step gets smaller.

is that correct?

if it is,then hows this......

make a speaker like a tall triangle,say 4 feet. the first 5" starting at the top,cut off so the top is flat. then if you layed down the "box" and used the "flat top" part as the baffle where the driver goes,id say thats a very small baffle and wouldnt the "step" be equaly small?? then wouldnt the problem be so small at that point,to be void of consideration??

hey,it sounds fine to me.

back to homework.

roy
Tim, i e-mailed you about the speaker choice i have to make.

Well I built the "elegantly folded"VO.2 Makes for a nice shallow bookshelf for a bedroom. I was a little unexcited when I finished it, as I had three projects finishing at the same time, a 3-way using Audax and vintage drivers, and the CSS XBL which really blew me away being so compact and with great low end.

I'll save my critique til the drivers are more broken in. But I had to say this: I just finished the proto Bipole VO.2 on Saturday and after a quick listen, I stopped the process to order some fine black walnut veneer, dragged them upstairs and rearranged the living room for some serious listening. The bipole is another dimension...great bass, a little forward in the upper mids so far, but I understand Tim's earlier remark, "Sure, if you like depth and detail" And BTW, the added 19" for extending the cabinet into a tower works well.

Now onto the Folded N Monopole but I think it's going to be temporary.

Is there a group buy for more drivers?:)

x. onasis said:
I'll save my critique til the drivers are more broken in. But I had to say this: I just finished the proto Bipole VO.2 on Saturday and after a quick listen, I stopped the process to order some fine black walnut veneer, dragged them upstairs and rearranged the living room for some serious listening. The bipole is another dimension...great bass, a little forward in the upper mids so far, but I understand Tim's earlier remark, "Sure, if you like depth and detail" And BTW, the added 19" for extending the cabinet into a tower works well.

Well that is a very positive start! What are the dimensions of the port? Do you have any pictures?

Cheers,
Gio.

that folded mono pole looks great.

i bet it would be perfect for a beginner. does anyone know if it needs any kind of electronics added to it.like ohm filters,or stuff like that. if i can just build the cab,and wire up the drivers,id be in decent shape. but if it had to be fine tuned,i wouldnt know where to begin.

roy
is there one place on this site where all the plans like the "folded mono pole" are located?? or are they kinda scattered about??

Roy, I was being a little facetious about the group buy. ( I was hoping Tim might organize one) They're $36.50 ea. at Madisound and as I was hinting in my earlier post, the bipole is a significantly different speaker than the monopole, so I was recommending going right for 4 drivers.

I'm a cabinetmaker by trade, so building boxes is pretty easy for me, but I've found that the cost of drivers is relatively small when you factor in all the other materials and your time....especially finishing them. To be honest, I wouldn't build the Monopole , except that I only have a single pair of drivers left, and we're building these as a group project for comparative purposes.

When I'm done with the bipoles, I may have $300 in them, but there's no doubt they'll be far nicer than what twice that buys at the stores.

what drivers are they for 36 each?

i dont mind 4 drivers,as long as the wife says i can get them. the kids had a way nice christmass,and that means im (my buying habbits are) on a short leash for a while. as im dissabled and dont work,i dont spend to much on myself all the time.and as i told Tim,last summer the wife got me a new motorcycle because she was tired of riding hers alone,and/or with out me. then theres my power tools,,and my shortwave radiop....and,,,well you get the picture.

but i am excited about learnign and getting started with this speaker building. as long as what i get are at least as good sounding as what i could get in the store,ill be more than happy. plus,.its always better when ya do the work your self.

and 36$ is a good price. couldnt we /I put two of the drivers in each folded bi-pole?? for a lil more .......somthing. and i think i read that 2 drivers make them more efficient.

"HEY HUN.....TIM AND ONASIS WANT TO KNOW IF I WANT TO JOIN THEM GETTING IN ON A GROUP DEAL FOR SPEAKER PARTS.........."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

SEE YA,

ROY

thats the one i want to use.

everything ive read about it,says its awsome. thats good to know. but still,couldnt i use two of them for each speaker ? well i know i could...the question is,would i get somthing out of it that would outweigh using two as aposed to useing just the one.
and if its not worth it, fine,4 of them would let me make two pair of maybe different speakers.

~R~