diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 87 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2012, 08:15 PM   #861
diyAudio Member

A good coat of PVA is cheap easy and effective. I wouldnt like to try it on a fragile cone though lol
Old 4th November 2012, 01:08 AM   #862
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Whats the replacement for this speaker if the driver (FE126/FE127) is no longer being manufactured?

Is it this?: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Drivers/FE126En/
Old 4th November 2012, 01:34 AM   #863
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FF125wk is closest.

dave
Old 4th November 2012, 06:06 PM   #864
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
Whats the replacement for this speaker if the driver (FE126/FE127) is no longer being manufactured?

Is it this?: Fostex FE126En Fullrange Speaker Driver (Transducer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FF125wk is closest.

dave

The two drivers cited 126/127 shouldn't really be considered interchangeable in the first place, so choice of replacement would depend on the the enclosure design. The FE126EN is still in production, it'd be the 127 that would find FF125WK as most likely "replacement" - noting that designs for the 127 might need some tweaking to tuning when using the new driver.
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:50 AM   #865
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The narrow folded monopole... i've heard 2 versions of this, both are good. Inspired by the FE126 TL/BR hybrid, Chris implemented an interesting presentation (in getting finish right now, pics to follow)
Would the port need some lengthening from the specified 1.5" when using a flared duct as sold by Madisound? How much would be in the ballpark?

The Madisound Speaker Store

(makes it easier to get a good fit between cabinet and using otherwise just a piece of PVC pipe)

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2014, 06:15 PM   #866
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A flare shortens the effective length of the vent. I rarely ue a round vent.

dave
Old 2nd July 2014, 07:24 PM   #867
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusMozart View Post
Would the port need some lengthening from the specified 1.5" when using a flared duct as sold by Madisound? How much would be in the ballpark?

The Madisound Speaker Store

(makes it easier to get a good fit between cabinet and using otherwise just a piece of PVC pipe)

Thanks!
To answer your question, yes it should be longer to compensate for the flair of the vent. When calculating the correct length for a flared vent, most add 1/3 (to 1/2) the length (depth) of the flair to calculate the overall length. Since I use a round-over bit to create the flair in the cabinet, I then add a PVC tube on the inside for a test measurement. If it's good, I mix epoxy and install the vent tube permanently.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:59 AM   #868
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A flare shortens the effective length of the vent. I rarely use a round vent.

dave

Dave / TerryO

thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I am not particularly fond of round vents however the design is with a round vent and it is always best to keep the build as close as possible to the original tested version.
Old 1st August 2014, 03:04 AM   #869
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mounted on a wall, i'd go with the straight monopole... the folded one is to give an option that is more "normal" cosmetically

We asked that question too... Why would we build a Fonken if the diyA ref was even close, so we compared the diyA ref folded monopole we built for Chris' mom to a set of Fonken, We are still building Fonken. Ir has more finese and control... and certainly enuff to warrant the extra effort.

What amp do you have?

dave
I've just been looking at MJK's alignment tables. It appears that since the original monopole was designed more knowledge has become available and that it is better to mount the driver 0.349 * the length from one end rather than halfway.

The upshot of this is that with the folded monopole it is better to extend the divider down to the bottom and mount the driver approx 290 mm from the bottom keeping everything else the same. Models better in the worksheets too.

Hide this!Advertise here!