diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2005, 12:59 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

I think I'd more likely go with a sealed box, perhaps even a bipole sealed box. A dipole would be nice although it would probably have to be fairly large.
Old 11th December 2005, 02:59 AM   #512
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Some questions came in that provoked a drawing of the narrow folded monopole so here is the 0.21 drawing -- actually given that it has been built and turned out well, it should probably be called V1.0

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif diyaudio-fr-ref-n-monopole.gif (21.2 KB, 3512 views)
Old 11th December 2005, 03:50 AM   #513
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Dave,

Perfect timing, thanks. I was just looking around to figure out what box to try my 127's in just to have a reference as a double check to make sure I'm not off course in my OB pursuits.
Old 11th December 2005, 04:08 AM   #514
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Perfect timing, thanks.

It came about because Chris & i were trying to figure what to do with the single pair of FE127s we have after killing 6 of them....

dave
Old 11th December 2005, 04:33 AM   #515
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
May I ask what was the cause of death? I only have 1 pair and would like to keep them out of the graveyard. Did you come up with any easy cone or dustcap mods that were effective? Puzzlecoat, etc.?
Old 11th December 2005, 07:10 AM   #516
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
May I ask what was the cause of death? I only have 1 pair and would like to keep them out of the graveyard. Did you come up with any easy cone or dustcap mods that were effective? Puzzlecoat, etc.?
4 died while cleaning up after dustcap removal... we will not be producing a phase plug for FE126/127e (and the same problem likely exists for FE103E) see http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fe127.html.

The other 2 died from the failure of 1 channel of a miniA (bipoles). Voice coils glowing orange in the dark. They didn't like the full rail across them.

dave
Old 11th December 2005, 08:17 AM   #517
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default glow in the dark

Jason - if you're watching, the ball's in your court. Even after repairing the previous damage, there's till something not quite right with the mini. It's currently at the mounain retreat - talk to Dave.
Old 12th December 2005, 03:38 PM   #518
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Dead Mini A

Hello Chris Dave and others:

Fe127
Thanks for the nice comments on my Fe127 folded mono. I have not heard them for a while. The last time I heard them I was very impressed with quality of the mid range. The vocals were excellent and the high range was very smooth. Yah they are a little thin on the bass, no big deal though. I have a sub that we integrated into them to bring up the bottom end. For 2 channel audio I like them.

I am watching this Mini A concern closely.
I am just in the final stages of completing my own mini A. I spent the weekend finishing off the cabinetry for the casing. I thought I had done a pretty good job. I took it upstairs to show my wife. I asked her what she thought and she looked at the floor, shuffled around a bit, avoided eye contact, and said " It looks nice.... Well actually it looks like a microwave oven." Crushed, I returned to my lonely work shop to try another approach. Maybe this time it will look like a toaster or some other kitchen appliance!
I think I will wait a little while before firing this one up. I hope you get the problem figured out. Please keep me in the loop.

Good luck
Old 13th December 2005, 01:11 AM   #519
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

You must show her pictures of other amplifiers until she warms up to a few of them, and then integrate the design features or at least imitate them somewhat, or else you may have a series of those incidents!
Old 13th December 2005, 03:47 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

After seeing Zaph's latest TMM with waveguide design over in the loudspeaker forum, I'm wondering if some type of waveguide would be beneficial with the 127 to clean up the top end. I was already planning to add a piece of hardwood in front of the driver, but can the shape of the front edge taper of the drive cutout make a beneficial difference? If so, how can I figure out the best shape?

Hide this!Advertise here!