diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2005, 05:47 PM   #501
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: looks greek to me

Quote:
Originally posted by roystr
set of ratios with irrational numbers should support lower Q resonances. Anywhere there is the possibility of a standing wave, edge resonance, etc i'll choose a convienient irrational number (ie root(2), root(3), pi, e...).......

....im sure there must be a way to say what your saying in nice hobbiest english.
The simpliest way to try to describe an irrational number is to say that if written as a fraction it never ends & it never repaets itself. Square roots (or any root) of a prime number, plus many other irrational numbers can be easily pulled off a calculator (even more if it is scientific). The golden ratio is based on a number that is approximately 1.618.

What is nice about these numbers is that if you use them you tend to get dimnsions that don't support resonances as well.

Let's say we have a 2x1x1 box. if we can establish a resonace across the 1 width then we will have another the same across the 1 depth and the 2 reinforce them. In this box the length is an integer (Whole numbers) multiple of the 1 dimensions (ie 2x1) so it also supports that same resonace.

So of the 3 big standing waves we have 2 at the same frequency that is reinforced by the 3rd. so we have 1 monster resonance peak. By shanging the lengths of the box so that none are integer mulriples of one another we can spread the 3 resonances out and decrease their peaks.

An irrational number is just one that most of the time helps spread the resonances out in a nice non-uniform way (well most of the time -- a box with ratio (1/sqrt(2):1:sqrt(2)) ends up being 1:1.414159:2).
Old 18th August 2005, 12:35 AM   #502
DMD is offline DMD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: looks greek to me

Quote:
Originally posted by roystr

i read..well i flipped through the pages of the speaker cookbook,,,,i didnt see one page i could make any sense out of. and now you guys talking the same language..sheesh.
im sure there must be a way to say what your saying in nice hobbiest english.
roy
While the DIY-loudspeaker dialect of 'Audiospeak' might sound obscure and like Greek to you, there is one thing you can be sure of: As with Greek itself, it's just the language, not the concepts. If a couple of Greeks talk about a basketball banking off the backboard, taking a turn around the rim, and going through the hoop, that will definitely sound like Greek—but it's just basketball.

I agree with you that there certainly could be more concept-clarifying and term-defining literature available to hobbiests—and maybe there is, and somebody will turn us both onto it, or maybe its day is coming. In any case, I thought you might find this Audio Glossary at DIY Audio Corner helpful in the meantime. I did.

Best of success to you,
Don
Old 18th August 2005, 02:07 AM   #503
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

The 126 seems to be imbalanced when you look at the frequency response, but it definitely works in the suggested horn/BR enclosure, and it has a higher sensitivity than the 127.
Old 18th August 2005, 03:18 AM   #504
roystr is offline roystr  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to roystr
Default thanks guys.

and the link to the glossery was a good read as well.

the thing is,to me its not the words so much as all the math. math,ratios,...then you got "fs" and "qes" and the rest. i have read the deffinitions of a few of them,,, but in my mind i have no idea what they mean in relation to each other.

thanx anyways,,,eventualy ill get the hang of it.

peace,
roy
Old 8th September 2005, 05:24 PM   #505
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quick question.

Has anyone built the folded monopole cabinet design on post #70 or #131? I'll be using a sub for lower enhancement and I was wondering which one would be better with a sub.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1102221644

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1102449671
Old 8th September 2005, 07:23 PM   #506
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MPM
Has anyone built the folded monopole cabinet design on post #70 or #131? I'll be using a sub for lower enhancement and I was wondering which one would be better with a sub.
Scott built a pr. They sound good. the cosmetics on his pr are spectatacular.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe127e-folded-mltl-front.jpg (39.9 KB, 1684 views)
Old 8th September 2005, 07:39 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

He takes a lot of pride in his woodwork.
Old 8th September 2005, 09:00 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Very nice indeed. Any idea on the sub integration?
Old 8th September 2005, 10:20 PM   #509
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MPM
Any idea on the sub integration?
Something that is fairly extended.

dave
Old 9th September 2005, 05:34 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans...745363fc9b3e17

This is economical and extends pretty well. But will a horn sub have a delay due to the path it travels to get to the mouth of the enclosure? Is this even something I should be concerned with?

Thanks for everyones input on this thread. Not just my personal question but the entire project.

Hide this!Advertise here!