diyAudio Full Range Reference Project

Re: More lower mids

stelleg151 said:

Granted they only have about 50 hours on them, and they already sound better than they did at first, but I am not optimistic that they will eventually fill the room a lot better.

Hi George,

Give it time. I broke the FE127E in for about 100 hours. At that point, the mids and highs were pretty good and have not changed much. However, since then I have been able to drop the crossover point from about 100Hz to 80Hz. These guys need major hours before they fully break in.

Also, since you are monopole, the problem may not be lack of bass, but rather that they are to bright as a result of baffle step.

Give this a read:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/General/BSC_Sizing.pdf

Moving the speakers towards a wall can also help reduce baffle step.

I found BSC was a must with a monopole FE127E and the amount required varied from room to room even though they were similar amounts from the back wall.

On this FE127E there is a BSC table which only applies for the 200mm wide baffle. There's a great BSC spreadsheet to calculate these components on the quarter-wave site mentioned in GG's post.

bootzilla said:
Hey guys,

Wow, long thread! - After learning about and deciding to buy myself a T-amp to play with and mod (I'm a little late to the party - this is all new to me), I wanted to build myself a decent pair of simple, full range speakers to be able to enjoy music with.

After deciding to use either a Fostex FE207 or FE127, I stumbled across this thread....

Well, 69 pages later - I have ordered a pair of 127's, my T-amp, and some assorted caps - and I am juiced to get started building a pair of the folded monopole design!

Thanks to you guys for starting the thread and developing the designs - I likely wouldn't even be giving this a try if it wasn't for all of your work!

Now I just want the stuff to get here, so I can get started!!

I am a owner of a unmodified sonic T-amp, let me know how things turn out...

gychang

Ray Collins said:
Were you pulling my leg (kidding me) about no back and the pot holder?

Greets!

Nope, I never 'kid' about speaker design advice unless we're all just being 'silly' for whatever reason. This doesn't mean to imply that it's always good advice though, all knowing I'm not, I just come up with the best I can at that moment.

GM