diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2004, 05:23 PM   #101
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Bi-pole design

I guess I have been programed by the mass market designs to find the narrow cabinet more apealing. I recall a design that GM did for Pea using the JS92 that I liked. I think it would be possible to take the folded ML design put it on a psuedo stand with a down firing port and a slant front and I would be very happy.
Other comments:
The brace in between the two drivers needs to be just right and firmly anchored to both drivers. The mounting screws for the drivers must be bolts rather than screws if the brace is not just right. Harmonic and construction forces will challenge the integrity of the mounting screws. for visible ports I prefer slots with roled edges they seem more graceful to me.
Old 6th December 2004, 06:53 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Another thought:
I was reviewing some of the design work That MJK did with the Fe164. When he folded the TQWP it developed a ripple in the mid frequency range. One of our earlier designs has the fold point just below and behind the driver with the fold going side to side. This results in a wider front baffle, yet it appears to charge both sides of the line equally. With the fold going front to back I think it might be important to ensure the line gets charge equally. I am not sure how this can be evaluated?
Any thoughts?
Old 6th December 2004, 06:55 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Minor variances in the length of the coupling dowel (-1mm) might be dealt with by placing a small amount of Duct Seal on the magnet backs where the dowel is placed. Does this seem an acceptable method?
Old 6th December 2004, 07:01 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCD
Another thought:
I was reviewing some of the design work That MJK did with the Fe164. When he folded the TQWP it developed a ripple in the mid frequency range.
That's surprising. All the statements I've read concerning folding pipes say that there are no detrimental effects. Did I miss something?
Old 6th December 2004, 07:13 PM   #105
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Minor variances in the length of the coupling dowel (-1mm) might be dealt with by placing a small amount of Duct Seal on the magnet backs where the dowel is placed. Does this seem an acceptable method?
That is similar to what NAIM is doing... so far the distances i've had to deal with can be covered with a sheet of paper (in fixed brace subs) or with the hot glue i use to loosely attach the dowel to the back of the magnet.

dave
Old 6th December 2004, 07:15 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Maybe I read it a little too fast but I think the diagram on page 11, 12 shows a ripple. I am not as up on the theory as you guys I just threw the idea out there. I may be off the mark and it may not be an issue.
Firmly coupling the drivers is important. I have some ideas that I plan on trying. I will share once I get them a little more refined.
Old 6th December 2004, 07:19 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Hot glue was I what I was thinking as well.
The other idea was threaded rods at the mounting points. I was thinking about hexagon rod that was cut to length tapped and threaded. This may be over kill for this driver yet it is the one that is needed for the Push push bass drivers.
Old 6th December 2004, 07:21 PM   #108
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
That's surprising. All the statements I've read concerning folding pipes say that there are no detrimental effects. Did I miss something?
Depends how well you fold it... in my fold the drivers are still appearing the same offset from the end of the line... in your fold they have different offsets (not necessarily a bad thing, just another detail the models don't handle)

dave
Old 6th December 2004, 07:28 PM   #109
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SCD
The other idea was threaded rods at the mounting points. I was thinking about hexagon rod that was cut to length tapped and threaded. This may be over kill for this driver yet it is the one that is needed for the Push push bass drivers.
Similar to this?

Click the image to open in full size.

be nice if drivers all started coming such that you could put a big bolt or screw thru thru th epole piece to secure them (and not have th magnet unintentionally pulled off)

dave
Old 6th December 2004, 07:43 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Depends how well you fold it... in my fold the drivers are still appearing the same offset from the end of the line... in your fold they have different offsets (not necessarily a bad thing, just another detail the models don't handle)

dave
True, I was considering the acoustical center of the backwave but really don't know how that all works out inside the enclosure. My bipoles to date have not been folded. Should we consider something similar to my bipole 1197s? No fold yet still a reasonably sized enclosure. We could mount the drivers on the narrow side too I would think.

Hide this!Advertise here!