diyAudio Full Range Reference Project - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2004, 05:03 PM   #91
juggle2 is offline juggle2  United States
diyAudio Member

One might hope the term "elegant" would suggest more universal appeal.

(end of sarcasm)

Question: How important is the level placement of the opposing drivers in regard to BSC? IOW, Could the rear driver be placed slightly higher? This might necessitate a braced, rectangular board as a mechanical coupler for the drivers.

And as a related follow-up ... might the rear driver's TL be a simple L shape, placed over the top and rear of the of the single driver plan? This might provide for a cab still around 8" wide and 12" deep.
Old 5th December 2004, 05:19 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

(my quote function ain't working at the moment)

"I can tell you the 127 will "slap" at moderate volume levels during heavy bass tracks and when not slapping will muddle the mid-range."

I keep thinking how Dave used to keep reminding us of the benefit of going active for bass, ie. "frees the mid up to do what it does best." (or in this case, the full ranger)
Old 5th December 2004, 05:32 PM   #93
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by juggle2
One might hope the term "elegant" would suggest more universal appeal.
A term from my math days... nothing to do with visual appeal. But i did come up with one that was not your regular box -- the geometry is probably too extreme to work (which is why i held off posting it). The terminus would probably be best not as a tube, but built in as part of the box -- perhaps a development of the point. Flip it 180 degrees and you could hang them from the ceiling by the point.

Quote:
Question: How important is the level placement of the opposing drivers in regard to BSC? IOW, Could the rear driver be placed slightly higher? This might necessitate a braced, rectangular board as a mechanical coupler for the drivers.
Won't affect BSC, but in a TL will much with the tuning developed by having a driver offset... the drivers need to appear to the line like they are in the same place.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif radical-mltl.gif (15.0 KB, 3713 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 12:55 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
a little creative paintwork, and no one would know its a speaker...

dave
Hmmmm....it's interesting what comes out of your mind at 2am Dave. Kinda like the eyeball on the US dollar bill. Illuminati?
(No, I still haven't read it.)

The curved top is interesting but time is a valuable quantity for me lately. I doubt I would build it. I do like the idea of a folded pipe though because the common version is quick and easy to build.
Old 6th December 2004, 01:53 AM   #95
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
The curved top is interesting but...
The Flat-Top (tm) version:

internal reflectors are optional (2 possible drawn in green & magenta)

Port out the front, back, side, or bottom (as illustrated).

Next up the lated Tim suggestion. Supper 1st.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif diya-frref-foldbipole020.gif (20.0 KB, 3887 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 03:30 AM   #96
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Internal dims of 23"H x 6.5"W x 10"D. Drivers mounted on the narrow side 20" from the bottom (internal). Internal baffle when viewed from the wide side begins at 6" down 5" from the back, tapers to 1" from the back. A 2" x 2" port at the bottom on the back
Like this?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif diya-frref-folded-mlv010.gif (17.4 KB, 3759 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 04:32 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Flat-Top (tm) version:
...not "Prune Face", thankfully.

Quote:
Like this?
Oh yeah, I guess we decided it should have a down-firing port. Still could. I had the top of the line ending 4 inches up from the bottom of the cabinet allowing room for a rear firing port. This could easily accomodate a down-firing port also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fold.jpg (3.6 KB, 3102 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 05:30 AM   #98
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

This closer to what you had in mind?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif diya-frref-foldedmlv020.gif (17.2 KB, 4012 views)
Old 6th December 2004, 03:28 PM   #99
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Morning boys:
I foolishly went to bed last night and missed all the fun. Somewhere back in the discussion things turned to a stand mount for the bipole. Any reason we could not do the bipole as a free stander tower. Some designs I have seen put a pseudo stand together with a short cabinet. It uses a down firing port and a slant front. This could easily be mounted on a solid base. The space behind the slant can be loaded with either lead shot or baked sand.
Old 6th December 2004, 03:53 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCD
Morning boys:
I foolishly went to bed last night and missed all the fun. Somewhere back in the discussion things turned to a stand mount for the bipole. Any reason we could not do the bipole as a free stander tower. Some designs I have seen put a pseudo stand together with a short cabinet. It uses a down firing port and a slant front. This could easily be mounted on a solid base. The space behind the slant can be loaded with either lead shot or baked sand.
That was actually discussed earlier and is the reason for the down-firing ports in the drawings from Dave except for mine, however, it's easy enough to move the port to that position. Determining the output for the port in a psuedo-stand will be an interesting exercise. GM had described how to do that without turning it into a horn. I'll have to look around for that info. IIRC, he recommended having the port tube exit into a slot port. My bipole FE103E uses a slant front which interestingly enough sounds better when it's off the floor several inches.

Hide this!Advertise here!