Lining Material

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Just like to ask if anyone has done any experiment with speaker enclosure lining material.

Recently, some of my friends and I have been experimenting with different lining material in a Bass Reflex(No stuffing) with a full-range speaker.

Material that we have tried include:
1. Polyfill
2. foam(12mm)
3. Old blanket (5mm thick, felt like)
4. No lining material

It seems that the choice of lining material is critical. Using the foam (applied only to the top, half of the sides, and rear), the dynamic of the music seems to have been sucked out. Highs and mid are damped.

Using polyfill, the bass and the high was ok. But the mid turn murky.

With No lining material (except the top or the bottom covered with foam), the music is ok. It beats having the foam on the side, dynIamic of the music is present but it seems to be less refined.

With the old blanket, the music seems to be better. It was a balance between dynamics and smothness. I like the blanket best. So for those people who are going to throw out their old blanket, please keep them. I am currently looking for old blanket. I don't have any old blanket, and I don't want to buy new blanket to cut them up. :(

The degree of impact from lining material really suprises me. From Bob Brines's FT-1600 mkII, it does seems to be the lesser the better.

As I am a amatuer, I would like to seek your opinion and experience to the type of lining material most suitable to BR box.

Cheers
CH2

In addition for my previous Im very pleased if someone could give me some basics in linign info .I`m always between compromise live uncontrolled boomy sound ,and overstuffed clinical ,change the stuffing material doesnt seems to help At the moment i try get balance with my Jordan j92x Gm Quarterwave speaker ,whats real tricky???

Pappa

papparazzi said:
In addition for my previous Im very pleased if someone could give me some basics in linign info .I`m always between compromise live uncontrolled boomy sound ,and overstuffed clinical ,change the stuffing material doesnt seems to help At the moment i try get balance with my Jordan j92x Gm Quarterwave speaker ,whats real tricky???

Pappa
If I recall correctly, Martin J. King has some insights concerning stuffing. You mention a Gm Quarterwave speaker; check King's site www.quarter-wave.com for references, at least.

Dave

I think you really have to mess around with this quite a bit to get something that approaches optimal for you. When I first started buiding TQWP's, I just stuffed them according to what looked best modeling with MJK's software. Later, I realized that all of my pipes were way overstuffed, at least to my ears. Too much stuffing, or stuffing in wrong place can really kill an otherwise good FR speaker.

What I currently use, and am pleased with, is fiberglass insulation. About 1" thick, or less sheets. I find I get the best results if I line the top and bottom of the cab, and maybe 2/3 of either the side, or front. I have also tried sheeps wool, poly fil, accousta stuff and felt and each seems to have it's own signature sound. For some reason, I never seem to like anything behind the driver, even though many people swear by it. Try some different materials, and stuffing strategies and see what you like.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.