Which fostex for a bookshelf?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to built my first diy loudspeakers and I need something with these features:

1) sensitivity... I want to use good low power amp(5/15W).
I think a good impedance curve can helps too

2) dimension...I have to lay the loudspeaker on a desk 76cm high. Not a good solution indeed, but this is my condition in this moment. Max dimension: 50*30*30cm

3) low cost... 200€ max

I've no long experience in loudspekers diy, so I'm here to ask your opinion. I'm thinking if a fostex fe167 or a fe207 in a reflex box can satisfy my requests.

Mark

I've used the FE127E in a couple of different configurations. It's a wonderful little speaker for low power applications. The double-bass reflex design from Fostex is very nice but it looks to be too tall for you. The FE127E in a standard BR will only give you FR to ~70Hz. Perhaps the FE207E bass reflex cab will work.
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/207e_enclrev.pdf
If you're going to be using the speaker next to a CRT monitor of any type you will need to go with the FE-AV series for the shielded magnet.

jlsem I've seen the fostex enclosures. DO you suggest me to don't use FE speakers?

I would recommend for your first project the FF125K speaker and Fostex enclosure. The dimensions are exactly what you want, it is the simplest to build (no tube, just a hole in the baffle for the port), plenty of efficiency for your available power, and well within your specified budget.

John

I have not heard the FF125K. I also understand that numbers don't tell you everything about a driver, however, there are some numbers that stand out comparing it to the FE127E. The FE127E has a much smoother impedance curve and HF response along with a slightly lower Fs. This would incline me to look at the FE127E over the FF125K. I can testify that the FE127E is a wonderful sounding driver. The one caviat concerning the FE127E is to be careful not to overdrive it. It is not a high power handling driver. A good low power (2W-15W) tube amp works very well.

Timn8ter said:
I have not heard the FF125K. I also understand that numbers don't tell you everything about a driver, however, there are some numbers that stand out comparing it to the FE127E. The FE127E has a much smoother impedance curve and HF response along with a slightly lower Fs. This would incline me to look at the FE127E over the FF125K. I can testify that the FE127E is a wonderful sounding driver. The one caviat concerning the FE127E is to be careful not to overdrive it. It is not a high power handling driver. A good low power (2W-15W) tube amp works very well.

Thankyou Timn8ter, you've shoot my doubt. For the power handling there are no problem because my listening room is small and my amp have 5W. I'm working on a new project...but again, nothing more than 10W :D
Please take part to this discussion ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=523900#post523900

Mark

The FE127E is much sweeter than the FE206E in the nearfield. The shout from the whizzer cones is much more prominent in the nearfield. If you get the 127's try them on OB on some cardboard baffles before you build any boxes. I'm using mine that way while I decide how I am going to augment the bass. The 127's really surprized me with the amount of bass I'm getting with very small baffles and in the nearfield on my desk I get plenty of output with my 2 watt amp. With OB, I get a nice big soundstage even if I put them right next to my monitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.