Tang W3-871s as a tweeter with these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm on a mission to build the cheapest, best-sounding home theater possible. I have a very nice one now but want to see how far I can stretch a dollar and will probably give this to my brother as a Christmas gift (I'm generous). I have about ten of these Vifa drivers laying around and was going to use them for this project:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-493

They're 6.5" drivers and need to be crossed over fairly low to avoid some harshness. To get a tweeter to cross that low might cost me some money so I was thinking of using the Tang 871 as a tweeter and using a very simple 1st order crossover, if possible, maybe at ~500hz but I'm VERY open to suggestions. I just threw 500hz out there for the heck of it! The first order, if applicable, will keep the cost down of this project so that's a plus.

The Vifas are 86db/2.83v (which is 1 watt since they're 8ohm I believe) and the Tang is 87db/1w. I would like to do MTM speakers up front including the center so I'll probably need to drop the woofers down 2db, correct? Or do you think I should just go with a single woofer and tweeter? I'd like massive volume out of these and was going to go sealed, and would even be up for an MMTMM or MMTTMM if that's possible with dual Tangs. The MTM may get tricky cuz the woofers would be getting a 4ohm load while the single Tang an 8, making them even louder.

What do you all think? I know my minds cluttered but I'm up for ANY opinions at all. I'm still very new to this speaker building hobby and have tons to learn. These speakers MUST be sealed because going ported with these cheap drivers requires a huge box, which I'm not going to build :D

Thanks!

I haven't looked at the tangband that closely, but from the one time I heard it I was quite impressed for $12. If you go with a mtm configuration you might want to build a small sealed enclosure inside the larger enclosure. You could then tune this sealed enclosure to push the crossover frequency lower while also protecting the driver from over exucsion. Also check out info on baffle step correction, my guess is that you will not need to damp down the vifa woofers. Sorry I'm in a bit of a hurry and need to run but this should get you started. BTW with the lower x-over point you should probably step up to a second order crossover if you want to use these for movies at any kind of volume.
Joe

For an inexpensive Tangband based two way system I recommend using the W5-704S with the W3-871S. A second order XO around ~2kHz seems to work best. The W5-704S is a nice little woofer that is easy to integrate with the 871 due to it's extended mid-range. The W3-871S could be put into a separate chamber from the woofer to help it's performance.

I built a two way with a low crossover point (200hz). The top was handled by a rat shack 40-1197 and the lower was a no name mcm woofer. I biamped mine with an electronic x-over and it sounded very nice. One thing I noticed though was that the high frequencies are pretty directional (beaming). For home theater this shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially for a small audience. You might look into aperiodically loading the TB with a stuffed tube out the back of the enclosure to reduce small cabinet problems. That's something I plan to do in the future with my 1197's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.