good cheap first project ideas - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2004, 06:46 AM   #1
saramac is offline saramac  United States
diyAudio Member

Default good cheap first project ideas

I would like to build some bookshelf speakers. I have an older 20w sony micro system of decent quality but the speakers [a ported 2-way] are awfull. Something say 12" square or there abouts. Ported so as to have some bass extension. Single full range drivers always sound so nice. Cheap is good here. Thank you for any ideas/advise.
Old 22nd November 2004, 03:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think that is a pretty tall order, 1 cubic foot, single driver enclosures for cheap. I guess we don't know what you expect from them. But I can't think of any cheap (any price range that your thinking about?) full range drivers that could fit in such a small box and still deliever adequete bass at any kind of volume. I guess it depends on how loud you need them to be able to go, and how much bass extentsion your looking for.
Joe
Old 22nd November 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I been testing the new CSS WR125S. It is a wonderful driver that is at it's best in a small box. 20W per channel is plenty to drive them. I'm sure your old Sony will not let them reach their potential but you could upgrade your amp later if you want.
http://www.creativesound.ca
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Those little WR125's sure are nice, but kind of pricey.

Adire's little AV3 is surprizingly nice for only $18/ea as long as you don't need too much volume or bass extension. Really nice on OB so cut a hole in a piece of cardboard and try it before cutting any wood. I find a tweeter optional. Extremely small box if you go that route.

The other cheap option is the 8" Pioneer full ranger at PE. $25/ea and it can go OB or in a fairly small BR cab.
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Those little WR125's sure are nice, but kind of pricey.
Yeah, I suppose if you're looking for sub-$30 each speakers they are but at $138 a pair they are a bargain compared to Jordan and even some Fostex drivers. I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:36 PM   #6
dvdwmth is offline dvdwmth  Canada
diyAudio Member

fostex has a bass reflex cabinet they recommend for the fe103. Its a compromise but I built them for the radio shack fe103 cousin and I really enjoyed it. Its fairly efficient and the price isn't bad. I recommend this one because its an easy first project (it was my first) especially since there is no crossover, and its effecient so you can actually hear something with your 20watt amp.

Go to the fostex section of madisound and the cabinet recommendations are at the bottom.

You could also check out http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html.

More complicated cabinet.

There are other drivers by fostex you might want to look at. Check the cabinet designs at madisound and see what you can live with.

I also think that pioneer would be a good thing to try. One of these days Im going to try it out. You'll actually get some bass out of that one.
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The FE103E is a wonderful little speaker. For another 10 bucks you could get the FE127E which has a little more bass.
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yah, I think he wants a bit more bass. Can the 127 go in a BR?
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvdwmth
Yah, I think he wants a bit more bass. Can the 127 go in a BR?
Fostex offers two designs, a double bass reflex tuned ~50Hz and a standard BR tuned ~70Hz.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...7e_enclrev.pdf

This little quarter wave design puts out a surprising amount of bass but is only available in the Philippines.
http://www.alegriaaudio.com/FQ127.htm
Old 22nd November 2004, 05:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

or the vifa/silver flute here

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/

there's a description here

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/milwaukee090403.shtml

are you actually going to put these in a bookshelf?

If you are you probably want to find something designed for that purpose. I think these ones need some space. The fostex would probably be ok though.

Hide this!Advertise here!