good cheap first project ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to build some bookshelf speakers. I have an older 20w sony micro system of decent quality but the speakers [a ported 2-way] are awfull. Something say 12" square or there abouts. Ported so as to have some bass extension. Single full range drivers always sound so nice. Cheap is good here. Thank you for any ideas/advise.

I think that is a pretty tall order, 1 cubic foot, single driver enclosures for cheap. I guess we don't know what you expect from them. But I can't think of any cheap (any price range that your thinking about?) full range drivers that could fit in such a small box and still deliever adequete bass at any kind of volume. I guess it depends on how loud you need them to be able to go, and how much bass extentsion your looking for.
Joe

Those little WR125's sure are nice, but kind of pricey.

Adire's little AV3 is surprizingly nice for only $18/ea as long as you don't need too much volume or bass extension. Really nice on OB so cut a hole in a piece of cardboard and try it before cutting any wood. I find a tweeter optional. Extremely small box if you go that route.

The other cheap option is the 8" Pioneer full ranger at PE. $25/ea and it can go OB or in a fairly small BR cab.

fostex has a bass reflex cabinet they recommend for the fe103. Its a compromise but I built them for the radio shack fe103 cousin and I really enjoyed it. Its fairly efficient and the price isn't bad. I recommend this one because its an easy first project (it was my first) especially since there is no crossover, and its effecient so you can actually hear something with your 20watt amp.

Go to the fostex section of madisound and the cabinet recommendations are at the bottom.

You could also check out http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html.

More complicated cabinet.

There are other drivers by fostex you might want to look at. Check the cabinet designs at madisound and see what you can live with.

I also think that pioneer would be a good thing to try. One of these days Im going to try it out. You'll actually get some bass out of that one.

For something small for one of the little Fostex, you might want to try one of Takenaka's spiral horn designs at http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-intro.html
It's some kind of BR horn hybrid and he reports getting bass extension into the 30's with small high Fs drivers. Making the spiral might prove a little tricky, but the rest of the construction is straight forward.

I'm going to try the one for the Fostex FE206's when my drivers arrive. I plan to make the spiral using popsicle sticks on a treaded rod with fiberglass and epoxy for strength. I'll also use a normal PVC pipe instead of what appears to be thicker higher pressure tubing which seems like overkill to me.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
saramac said:
I would like to build some bookshelf speakers. I have an older 20w sony micro system of decent quality but the speakers [a ported 2-way] are awfull. Something say 12" square or there abouts. Ported so as to have some bass extension. Single full range drivers always sound so nice. Cheap is good here.

You've got a lot of really good suggestions already... what you get will depend somewhat on budget as well. The CSS WR125 is very nice (in the limited listening i've had), the FE127, FE107, & FE103 are standouts in their price range, i have an Adire AV3 project (bipolar alphaTL) waiting to be assembled, also consider the Radio Shack 40-1197 if you can find a Radio Shack with some stashed in a dark corner, or find someone willing to part with a couple. As Tim & Terry demonstarted amply at the recent NW-DIY-fest and GM in Atlanta, these budget versions of the FE103 can make a remarkable speaker (and if your out looking for RS drivers the 40-1354 is no slouch either).

This FE103 box is a winner on looks alone... http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo103.html

dave

The problem here is off-axis response, most fullrange drivers with any bass will have little treble off-axis.

The solution is a GOOD coaxial driver.
Seas T17RE
Its not cheap, but it isn't expensive either considering that your getting a GOOD midbass driver and a GOOD tweeter.

If you can cope with the loss of treble off-axis then the Fostex FE 167E should be good. If you can do w/out the bass then consider the Fostex FE 103E.

All are available from Madisound.

Based on what he mentions at the start of the thread I think the lack of bass on the TB might be a problem. I have a friend that wanted a small bookshelf and he didn't like my w3871s by themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love them. In fact they are my main speakers but they are crossed to a 12 in and I don't really like them without the bass driver.

Smaller, cheaper

minibox_small.jpg

Visaton FR10 4ohm, 20w rms, in a 2,9 liter cabinet (20cm high, 20 cm deep, 11,8 cm wide) 2 br pipes, 16mm internal dia 70mm long.

Plays down to about 65Hz, currently powered by a blaupunkt car radio at the office.

Ammazingly cheap, the speakers come at approx 7 euro's a piece and they go further down than most TB's in this size box. They are not filtered but if you play without a simple equalizer a simple notch filter might be required

I don't know. That FR10 response reminds me too much of the 49 cent NSBs with that break peak in response. The Visaton just goes a bit lower.

Of the Visatons, I like the FRS8 much more with its linear response. http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_261_1_3.html

I wish those were 49 cents at PE. I'd buy at least 1,000 . Who cares if they're only 82db/1w/1m ? They'd make perfect 32 driver floor to ceiling dipole line arrays.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.