Detailed plans for 206, 207 or Jordan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am interested in building a pair of fullrange speaker and have for the last couple of weeks red a lot on this and and fullragedriver forum. Since this will be my first diy project I want to keep it quite simple. For driver I looked at either at the Fostex Fe 206, 207 or the Jordan JX92S. The thing I am having problems with is to find a detailed cutting chart like this: http://hometown.aol.de/hphinder/homepage/ The only detailed chart I found is for the 206, 207 Fostex recommended enclosures but from what I read these are not always preferred for the above mentioned drivers.

As far as sound I have a fairly large living room and would like some volume as well as the good bas response.

If anyone have any suggestions and link I would be very grateful.

Regards

John

Attachments

• j-low.jpg
    j-low.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,660
I have ordered the Fe207E and will start with the Fostex recommended small bass reflex enclosure just to get a feel for the sound and the woodwork involved, if it sounds god I will go on building a the Double bass or some other "bigger" enclosure.

Thanks for the help

John

Warning - patience is required!

John - DO NOT give up after you turn them on for the first time, foaming at the mouth.
They MAY NOT sound good, depending on your other gear and the music you listen to.
They WILL take time to run in
I understand the bass in a bass reflex is a compromise, compared to horn/ML-TL type designs.

the oracle

Fostex enclosures

nice to hear other people expermenting with the same speaker i am working on.

I enjoy listening to the fostex fe207 in a bassreflex enclosure at the moment.

They do sound a bit middy but are absolute very good speakers

Did some simulations on this speaker and because the max x is only about 1.5 mm I think the best thing will be a horn enclosure.

beside that I wil use active velocity control..... (transconductance amplifier)

please report about the original recommended enclosure..

Stefano:

I am very interessted in the design of firstwatt please??

I am sure the Transmission line will work fine
but experementing with an horn is my desire at the moment.
However if you have a picture....

I ve choosen for a design of fostex horn enclose
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_comp/pdf/recom_enclose/207e_enclrev.pdf

Some changes wil be made however The speaker middle should be ear high this enclosure is only 90 cm high so for me it is to low.
this will mean that i will have to do some calculations.
and i really get lost with hornresp....
ah well
it will work out...
;)

Arnold_R said:
Stefano:

I am very interessted in the design of firstwatt please??

I am sure the Transmission line will work fine
but experementing with an horn is my desire at the moment.
However if you have a picture....

Yeah , the speakers are not completed yet for a picture . They laks the little cosmetics necessary for a presentation
;)

Also , two days ago me and pamaz (another diyaudio member ) did a diy meeting .
We tested the amp with the GM MLTL and the TL design of the Jordan site both for the JX 92s.
They sounded good but the Jordans TL exceeded the performance in the rensponse say up from 70hz.A more detailed and compressions free reproduction from the Jordans TL enclosure.
Of course it was lacking the bass of the GM MLTL. From now the GM MLTL will be subject to more experiment for the internal stuff.
Regarding the firstwatt design , you may imagine a power version of the Aleph P 1.7 preamp with just one current source at the bottom... no feedback ...

Many thanks to Paolo and Nelson :)

ciao Stefano

Hi Stefano and everybody here.
just in delay i saw this thread and would like to add my opinion on the original TL design with Jordan vs the mltl one.
As Stefano told, the final result with the jordan tl was better in our listening test, but this has to be considered not a definitive statement. Probably is necessary to tune up the mltl with the internal stuffing.
Let's say that if you need a "ready to go" design, the jordan tl is very good ( let's say that is wonderful).
If you wish to experiment, the mltl coud be a better potential design, due to the deeper bass extension that could be achieved.
In any case the detail and the relaxed sound that comes out of both design, is stunning, especially when compared to commercial loudspeakers.
One thing to note, is that IMHO the mltl is very sensitive to the volume knob position. It was a bit surprising to discover that if you crank it up , it sounds better! probably this have something to do with the internal stufffing, don't know really 'cause i'm totally unexperienced regarding loudspeakers design!
Ciao

Paolo

Jordan TL and GM MLTL

Just my two cents...

I built the Jordan TL and several different versions of GM's MLTLs.

Both the Jordan TL and GM's designs sound magnificent. The sound you get from the JX92S in either of the cabinets is nothing short of amazing. I can not imagine anyone not being delighted with either cabinet.

I prefer GM's designs primarily because they are easier to build than the Jordan TL. I can build three pair of GM's MLTLs in the time it takes me to build one pair of the Jordan TLs. They both require you to spend time listening and tweaking the stuffing to get the sound to the 'amazing' level and one is easier to adjust than the other in my opinion.

Be that as it may, as I mentioned above, you can easily get sound that is simply stunning out of either cabinet. Build 'em both, you'll be glad you did :)

Bruce

Fostex FE206E folded Horn

This is my second horn that I built. The first one was a modified Mauhorn 12, this one pictured is a cross-breed between a Mauhorn 12 and Buschhorn.... Just finished and sound tested about 1 hour ago; still hard to belive how good it sounds!!!!

Still need to machine out the grill frame

Attachments

• 1-t-horn-finished-web.jpg
    1-t-horn-finished-web.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 993
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.