Cain & Cain Abby Clone - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2004, 03:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Using an open baffle testbox, I did some measurements on the speakers. There is no break-in yet, I was just too curious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clabby_testbox3.jpg (35.7 KB, 1368 views)
Old 21st November 2004, 03:25 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Nearfield FR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clabby_fe167e_nearfield.jpg (46.4 KB, 1392 views)
Old 21st November 2004, 05:47 PM   #13
The one and only

That's a little better than I get at 1 M with the speakers away
from walls. Where did you measure? - nevermind, I see from
the picture.
Old 21st November 2004, 06:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Why this kind of close measurement? What does it serve? I do not listen at such close range. I think measurement taken from listening position make or useful information. IMHO

The Butcher
Old 21st November 2004, 07:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
That's a little better than I get at 1 M with the speakers away
from walls. Where did you measure? - nevermind, I see from
the picture.
In my own anechoic room (basement)
This is nice to see that my modest measurement equipment can produce good results.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris ma
Why this kind of close measurement? What does it serve? I do not listen at such close range. I think measurement taken from listening position make or useful information. IMHO

The Butcher
This is just priliminary measurements to see the FR of the speaker. Nearfield measurement is useful to minimize room effect on the measurement when you don't have an adequate room. I was also doing this to see the influence of the break-in period on these Fostex.

When the enclosuse will be finished, I will be able to make measurement at the listening position.
Old 7th January 2005, 03:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Here is some news about this project.

This week I have built two prototypes. The first one (big one) is my own design based on the MathCad sheets.

The second one is very close to the real Abby. Unfortunatelly I do not have access to a real pair of loudspeaker so the dimensions are based on published data and picture approximation. I have no clue about the damping so I used this ratio: 2/3 of the box at 0.5 lbs/ft3.

The sound is surprisingly similar for both boxes. One problem I noticed is that the sweet spot of my design is pretty high due to the angle of the baffle.

The picture of both boxes:
Click the image to open in full size.

The measurements (green=the small box, pink=the big box):
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th January 2005, 07:40 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default MDF

Having some experience listening to real Abby's, as well as a few DIY fullrangers, (horns/ TQWP) I would suggest that MDF is not the most suitable material for the enclosure, and most definitely for the round baffle.

If I'm not mistaken, Terry uses raw "standard" particle board for the back panel and perhaps ( with veneer) for the sides as well. The front flat panel and round baffle are edge laminated solid hardwood. I'm not sure whether he uses different species, or just a talented finisher.

If I ever get a chance to visit his factory, I'll know for sure, but only after signing that non-disclosure agreement.

And don't overlook the 200 or so hours of mandatory break-in on the Fostex drivers. After about 4 months, my FE108E Sigmas are finally opening up and developing some reasonable bottom end extension and weight in the Buschhorn enclosure.

Anyways, if you're encouraged by you initial results, you owe the design the opportunity to shine with at least Baltic Birch plywood. As for the round baffle, you could always get creative with a spoke-shave.
Old 7th January 2005, 07:42 PM   #18
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Have you heard or seen dave? * chris *.. you going to sound hounds tonight ?
Old 7th January 2005, 07:57 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Dave's not here man

As of noon, we've got about 6" of fresh snow here in Langford at the bottom of "the mountain" . I'd suspect that not even Dave is crazy enough to venture out with the threat of 4 or 5 more by day's end.
I'm barely gonna make it home with my light duty "all season" tires.

OTOH, maybe that's why we can't reach him! That's not a snow bank, that's Dave!

For myself, no - the last few times the expresso machine was broke down, and I'm still recovering from my last overdose of the professor, and I still have to finish that EL84 amp for Dave. (no smoke to let out, but still some "Lou")

Cheers
Old 7th January 2005, 09:52 PM   #20
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
LOL hope to get the lou out. I start work soon Monday to BE exact. Dave is not on line or no phone. Weird we only have a few " here in town. wonder how thick it will get : O )

Hide this!Advertise here!