here's my new OB calculator :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: here's my new OB calculator :)

Dave Jones said:

Care to give us a hint as to what it does?

After determining Fc (the freqency of the first order HP filter imposed by the baffle) one can take a chosen driver and (with a sealed box calculator (put the driver in an infinite baffle)), add the filter and thus approximate the system response.................

markp said:
I think that there is more to it than that. The baffle can't just be converted to a round surface of uniform radius. The long axis will support lower freqs than the short axis etc....

Intuitively I agree. However I have gleaned this approach from people who's knowledge I trust. Also it seems to be (empirically)
usable (within limits). A safer method would perhaps be to use the shortest dimension only (but perhaps too safe). This is in fact the same formula used to size the mouth of a horn. Obviously a mouth 1' x 9' is not going to act like a mouth 3' x 3', but perhaps if the ratio is kept reasonable all is well...........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.