4" fullrange suggestions please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I was so happy that I finally finished my first pair of OB fullrange speakers when disaster came to steal my joy :bawling:

I was on the last screw of the last speaker and........... no the screw driver didn't slip, but my other hand knocked the wizzer cone right off my poor little 4" speaker. Instead of trying to repair the damage, I (in somewhat of a mild rage :devilr: ) pulled the wizzer off the other driver.

I spent a considerable amount off time and effort on these very simple baffles and would like to replace these war torn 4"ers with something worth while.

I would like the new drivers to be able to do ok without a super tweeter, even if that means more wizzers. I would also like them to be under $20 each, preferably under $10. Any suggestions, please?

BTW, I will post a pic of the speakers as soon as my significant other gets home with my camera. Eerrrrr, I mean OUR camera :rolleyes: .

Those are nice little speakers. How about stretching to $35 for some Fostex 103s? Let us know how they sound when they get rebuilt ;)

BTW, I would loose the terminal block at the rear of the baffle and just have a straight run of good speaker cable from the driver to the amp.

I'm not too worried about sensitivity, the speakers are at ear level and about two feet from me . Nonetheless, 80/82db is pretty horrible .

Efficiency aside, I don't really like the response of the hivi driver, it looks like it needs XO'd with a tweeter at around 5k or lower which would toss it out of the full range ring.

I do like the response graph of the Visaton FR 10 and an 86db 1w/1m rating isn't too bad for something thats so close to my head.

Ropie, the terminal blocks are just temp for flexibility at the moment. When I get all the bugs worked out I will solder some good wire directly too the driver.

I plan on building a miniature W baffle dipole that my monitor will sit directly on top of. It will handle from about 150hz down to however low the 5" or 6" drivers will go.

The Tang Band W4-1052SA from Parts Express meets your price criteria. With my modification (posted to this forum) for the driver, it does not need a super tweeter or a whizzer. You can search for the 1052SA.

You might be pleased with its performance. It has higher sensitivity and maybe it has better sound (when modified).

Good designing and good listening,

Mark

Adire's AV3 sounds really nice on OB and I don't really find a tweeter necessary. It's only a 3 inch though.

If you wnat to really save some money. Find a local electronics store that carries replacement speakers for TV's, radio's, etc. Listen to a bunch of them and pick the ones that sound the best. For listening for OB compatibility, wrap your hands around the edges of the driver or bring a piece of cardboard. If the sound fills out significantly, you're in business. You should be able to find something nice for $5/pr or less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.