Hohl Flute Transmission Line Project Complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Presenting the organ flutes...

Acknowledgements first:

Martin J. King for the free use of his research and worksheets.

Vikash for the web page template. (I still managed to screw up the scripting though, if someone can help me correct what I did wrong. His template looked a lot better than the page).

A Picture, followed by a link to my site, where more details and construction are posted. The site will evolve, hopefully. :rolleyes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is my new DIY site; stay tuned!

Thanks to all interested,
Dave

PS--

These are wife pleasers, not Dave pleasers. She's pleased with them, though, so I'm happy enough. Here's our conversation last night:

"Do you like them?"
"Oh, yes. I'm pleased how they turned out. Much better than the caterpillars."
"You didn't like the caterpillars?"See here
"Oh, they're Ok, but by this time on the caterpillars, you were busily trying to kill the family" See here

Silence.

"Oh yeah..."

So I'm happy. On to my BrianGT Gainclone to power them!

They're working out great. I listen for hours without any fatigue at all; this I attribute mostly to Mark McKenzie's mod, which I found here at Madspeaker (McKenzie Acoustical Design) . When I mount them onto the wall (as they were designed), I'll post another review.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased with the accurate response and good detail as far as the design promised. Nicely detailed staging, to be honest.

Dave

Interesting design. I'd like to know more about how you go about measuring the response of the system with SW and the Wallin Jig. I tried a few times but didn't have faith in my results. Did you measure the port as well? How low do you trust your measurements? It seems like if we're doing a t-line, our main interest is in the system response are lower frequencies.
--
Danny

azira said:
Interesting design. I'd like to know more about how you go about measuring the response of the system with SW and the Wallin Jig. I tried a few times but didn't have faith in my results. Did you measure the port as well? How low do you trust your measurements? It seems like if we're doing a t-line, our main interest is in the system response are lower frequencies.
--
Danny
In re: SW, it was much persistence. I would get confused, frustrated, quit and run away. After several million tries and pleas for help from this forum (see
here), I finally started seeing reasonable results.

On my site, you'll see the image of a huge hump at 200Hz. That is not a bona-fide reflection of the measurements nor the speaker; it's a combined graph of two or three other graphs. In fact, that hump is the response of just the port.

And in addition to that, that measurement is for the prototype, which is poorly constructed (compared to the finished product). I'm quite pleased with what my ears are telling me on the finished ones; I won't be measuring them because I'm afraid of the truth.

Seriously, I haven't measured them because I haven't placed them, yet, and SW wants them measured in the middle of a room. These speakers will certainly not perform that well mounted on a wall, much less in the middle of the room. These were strictly intended to provide reasonably good response while ultimately not depreciating the decorating of the living room.

Otherwise, I'd say two things: a) you have to know how to read the graphs distinctly before the combined one makes sense; b) graphs are always going to be aids, never benchmarks. They can serve as a sort of reference, e.g., "ah, these sound sort of honky!"

As soon as they are mounted and I have had a chance to audition them there, I'll post back.

I regret that I said above that my hohlflutes will not perform well. It is more accurate to say that they will not perform well in the low-midbass and beyond.

I can't begin to express how well these things perform in the mid-bass and above. They're awesome. I can listen to them for hours without any ear fatigue. They're lively, clean, undistorted, truthful, and any coloration is beyond my listening skills (which are amateur, but still...).

Even in my early listening, improperly placed, they amaze me with the staging, excellent in that regard.

I attribute this as much to the McKenzie mod as to my TL designing.

Dave

Installed

And they sound great.

My wife says, "They're acceptable." Which is the highest praise possible for a DIY speaker project in her carefully planned living room.

Merry Christmas 2004.

Dave

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 214
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.