diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   FE206E : disapointed (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/44555-fe206e-disapointed.html)

mbon 31st October 2004 09:32 PM

FE206E : disapointed

I've bought a pair of FE206E and use them on open baffle withour filter. A pair of active subwoofer works below 300 Hz with a DSP DCX2496
Baffle are not oriented to listening point due to "too much trebbleness response on axis".

But sound is awfull, bright, voice as not nice, some frequency have peak of resonance.

I've used them for 100 hours at high level with some music CDs, is it enough ?

Does a backhorn improve mid/high or just bass ?

Ken L 31st October 2004 11:06 PM

Re: FE206E : disapointed

Quote:

Originally posted by mbon

I've used them for 100 hours at high level with some music CDs, is it enough

Not enough hours for them to be broken in yet.

When you get closer to 300 hours they'll sound more like what they are going to.

Mine didn't sound that bad in a front horn from the beginning, though they did improve somewhat . Not sure how they're supposed to sound on an open baffle.

They have a peak around 2700 or so that is due to the attachment of the surround.

You might want to try the "Moray James" tweak - simply ground one end of a jumper on the basket and put the other end on the plus or minus terminal of the speaker lead (right at the driver)

See which way it sounds best, + or - . Not sure this will work with all amps - but seems to work with most people that try it on FE206's and certain other Fostex drivers, depending on the configuration. It _does not_ bring an improvement in all situations.

Check your settings on the DCX 2496 and make sure they're flat.

using a Behringer DCX2496 in Azurahorns, my EQ settings for FE206E's were

EQ1 = 401 hz -1.5 db Q 2.5
EQ2 = 2.73 Kz -2.0 db Q 3.5

Which is not really a great deal of EQ.

With the DCX 2496, you can EQ them till they are flat _big grin_

Regards

Ken L

SY 31st October 2004 11:56 PM

I think that they'll need some severe bass EQ on an open baffle- what's the Qts?

hacknet 1st November 2004 12:53 AM

Dave Jones 1st November 2004 12:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by SY
I think that they'll need some severe bass EQ on an open baffle- what's the Qts?
The speaker was designed for use in a bass horn. It has a very low Qts, and a drastic (10db) rise in high frequency response. It also has a rather small xmax, so even a lot of bass EQ and series resistance probably will not make it work on an open baffle.

SY 1st November 2004 01:50 AM

Dave, I think you're right on the money. Might be fun to try this with a transconductance amp.

Variac 1st November 2004 03:18 AM

Well guys, mbon mentioned that he is using other woofers below 300hz. So, he really doesn't need bass out of the Fostex.
SO, I would recommend keeping the open baffle and using a filter to roll it off at or around the transition to the woofers. That will make it less strained.

I thought that the 206 had pretty flat response, but I might not remember right . My 208 has a big peak around 3500 that needs to be addressed somehow. Until I did, it sounded just as mbon describes his 206 drivers.

I know that seems like a lot of filters, but it works..

Dave Jones 1st November 2004 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Variac
Well guys, mbon mentioned that he is using other woofers below 300hz. So, he really doesn't need bass out of the Fostex.
SO, I would recommend keeping the open baffle and using a filter to roll it off at or around the transition to the woofers. That will make it less strained.

I thought that the 206 had pretty flat response, but I might not remember right . My 208 has a big peak around 3500 that needs to be addressed somehow. Until I did, it sounded just as mbon describes his 206 drivers.

I know that seems like a lot of filters, but it works..

I posted the FR curve above. The speaker has a 10db rise on-axis between 1500 and 12,000 Hz.

banana 1st November 2004 05:38 AM

Some simulation might help to get the idea of how much EQ is needed. Try "the edge", it's free.

the edge

Variac 1st November 2004 05:50 AM

Sorry Dave- I somehow managed not to see the thumbnail..