Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2004, 05:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AlNiCo vs. Neodymium

Inspired by another thread I thought it would be interesting to discuss the merits of AlNiCo magnet structures in drivers versus Neodymium. Compared to other magnets (ferrite, ceramic, etc.) AlNiCo has major benefits (except cost) but when compared to Neodymium does it fail to match up? Especially when Neodymium is less expensive?
Old 30th October 2004, 06:04 PM   #2
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

Tim: Have you read this older thread?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...628#post146628

jonathan carr
Old 30th October 2004, 06:49 PM   #3
The one and only

It would appear from the Lowther experience that Neodymium
might in fact be superior to Alnico in that it delivers the same
high field strength, but I am also told that the field fluctuates
less against voice coil action. I suppose that it would be thought
of as "stiffer" in this regard.
Old 30th October 2004, 09:17 PM   #4
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It suffers some thermal compression issue though. Ventilation must be augmented and chasis redesigned. Also the omnipresent Chinese Nd does not make the proper purity grade and suffers nonlinearities . Good Nd costs dearly and I doubt its used anywhere else than in first class European and American compression drivers and top quality prof big power woofers. Not sure about the Nd quality in FarEast sourced ribbons that are used a lot in projects lately.
Old 30th October 2004, 10:28 PM   #5
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Jonathan,

Is platiron related to Allegheny Ludlum's Platinum-Colbalt magnet material? I'd always considered this to be the most promising material for speaker motors with six times the coercive force of Alnico V and eminent workability to boot. However, being 77% platinum and 23% cobalt, practical application is out of the question.

John
Old 31st October 2004, 12:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcarr

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...628#post146628

jonathan carr
Missed that one, thank you Jonathan. It does shed some light on my question. It seems since that thread was posted there are more Neo drivers on the market including the latest XBL^2 offerings from Adire and CSS.
(from the Adire site)
" The Extremis 6 uses a neodymium magnet system which is inherently low in stray flux. In fact, the stray field just 2" from the motor is less than 100 mG (the Earth's magnetic field is 5 times larger!)"
Old 31st October 2004, 01:11 AM   #7
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: AlNiCo vs. Neodymium

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
but when compared to Neodymium ...........
another advantage to Nd is that for comparable strength (gauss) it takes up less space - and by so doing allows for different physical configurations that cannot be physically achieved with Alnico.

Regards

Ken L
Old 31st October 2004, 01:23 AM   #8
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

John:

>Is platiron related to Allegheny Ludlum's Platinum-Colbalt magnet material?<

It could be, although to the best of my knowledge, Platiron is a material developed at a Japanese university. The patent was later licensed to Nippon Mining (which subsequently became Japan Energy), but the manufacturing rights were subsequently revoked.

The platiron that I used was 70-some percent platinum and the remainder was largely iron (hence the acronym PLATinum-IRON), but certainly the percentages are in the general ballpark as the Allegheny Ludlum material. Do you have a link or an email address for that? I did a quick Google, but didn't see anything.

>However, being 77% platinum and 23% cobalt, practical application is out of the question.<

If it is as powerful as the platiron, you may not need all that much of it (at least if you don't insist on making a woofer from it. And it could be dandy for phono cartridges.

Unfortunately, just like Alnicos, you will almost certainly have to use polepieces with these platinum magnets.

The next task would be find someone who makes 99.999% or 99.9999% pure iron for suitably exotic polepieces to go with the platinum.

FWIW, the magnets that I use in my current designs are NeoMax 50 and NeoMax 52 (made by Sumitomo). I use these in open-circuit pairs (without polepieces).

regards, jonathan carr
Old 31st October 2004, 11:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
Good Nd costs dearly and I doubt its used anywhere else than in first class European and American compression drivers and top quality prof big power woofers. Not sure about the Nd quality in FarEast sourced ribbons that are used a lot in projects lately.

TB uses it in this driver: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-926s.asp

About 14$ each in quantity.

I dont know if its "good" or not though.
Old 2nd November 2004, 01:10 AM   #10
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The next task would be find someone who makes 99.999% or 99.9999% pure iron for suitably exotic polepieces to go with the platinum.
Is Armco zone-refined iron not pure enough for a large speaker? I would like to try a field coil type motor using Armco as the core and the pole pieces. Throw in Ohno CC copper wire for grins.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!