Fostices [sic] (aka Fostex/plural)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I really mean is...

Let me re-phrase, and also throw the Jordan JX92S into the mix...

I'm going to build some small satelites speakers, which will be augmented with a sub. The satelites need to reach down to, oh I don't know, the low 100's I guess. So I'm looking at f120a, fx120, or JX92S in a small closed box. I don't know how to choose.

If you look at the charts available in the catalog section at
madisound.com you can find a wealth of data on the fostex
drivers. But to answer your question now the 120a uses an
Alnicol magnet which is suposed to sound better but is verry
verry expensive. I think I recall some of the alnicol magnets
may cost $900 or more per pound!

Woody

woody said:
If you look at the charts available in the catalog section at
madisound.com you can find a wealth of data on the fostex
drivers. But to answer your question now the 120a uses an
Alnicol magnet which is suposed to sound better but is verry
verry expensive. I think I recall some of the alnicol magnets
may cost $900 or more per pound!

Woody

I've seen the Madisound catalog. I don't see anything there to indicate one speaker is better than the other.

If you were going to use one of those three (or possibly some other full range) in satelite speakers, and assuming a couple of hundred bucks was not your case money, which speaker would you use, and why?

I have heard people compare the fx200 and the f200a, apperantly the step up to alcino magnet make a real audible difference. I would certainly go for the f120a, money no consequence. Of course this is all just second hand info...
Good luck with your speakers. I just completed putting two fostex 108e sigmas in sealed enclosures, with a pair of subs filling in the bottom in. Quite a good approach in my opinion.
Joe

Josephjcole said:
I have heard people compare the fx200 and the f200a, apperantly the step up to alcino magnet make a real audible difference. I would certainly go for the f120a, money no consequence. Of course this is all just second hand info...
Good luck with your speakers. I just completed putting two fostex 108e sigmas in sealed enclosures, with a pair of subs filling in the bottom in. Quite a good approach in my opinion.
Joe

I was looking for my thread named "Fostices" -- you know, the plural of Fostex, like indices is the plural of index. I guess a moderator doesn't share my (admittedly weird) sense of humor. Maybe I should have named the thread "Fostices [sic]."

Anyhoo [sic]... Thanks for the response. Do you have any feeling for how the JX92S would compare to the F200A?

Nelson Pass said:
IMHO, the question revolves around how loud you are
planning to play this system and how low in frequency
you expect the Fostices to handle and how fussy you
are about top end.

1) Not loud enough to get in trouble with the police.
2) It should go to mid 100's or lower in sealed box. I'll use a sub with it, remember.
3) I am somewhat high frequency challenged, but I want my friends to have a good listen.

Now?

Re: What I really mean is...

Dave Jones said:
Let me re-phrase, and also throw the Jordan JX92S into the mix... So I'm looking at f120a, fx120, or JX92S in a small closed box. I don't know how to choose.

i hear the JX92 will appeal to the widest audinece.
i also had this dilema. to add to this I was also considering the FW137/FF85 combo and the JX125/53 combo and sometime back the FE167. so you see you are not the only confused one out here.

this is what i have gathered. the JX92 will apeal to the widest audince, has the best power handling of the 3 (5" drivers) and the best LF response which means you can crossover the sub a bit lower if you need to. so for my HT system I have chosen the JX92.

however for my stereo which involves a tube amp (20W EL84 PPP) I am looking at the FX120. It is 20mm less deep than the F120 and hence can work in shallow cabinet. it is cheaper. and i dont need the LF or power handling of the JX92 for this application. besides, I hear fostex is a acquired taste. this way i can find out what that acquired taste is too.

so FX120 for my stereo and JX92 for my HT. Hope that helps.

BTW my HT subs will be 4 12" drivers from audio concepts. Have not figured out the boxes or alignment for these though.

i live in a small apt where space is a premium so the cabinets I am looking at for the JX92 and the FX120 is a shallow 10-12 liter box that can be wall hung.

hope this helps.

HI Davy

I have A/Bed the Jordan JX92S against the fostex (but not the alnico) and there is no contest! Just as you would expect given its 4X more expensive,and has 8 X the X max. the fostex sounds recessed and far less real musically. The tone of the Jordan is great :) I use them in 8L enclosures medium stuffed,and they are max flat to 100HZ acording to GMs sim. I am very happy i spent the money and got them :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.