diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   what makes a loudspeaker "full range"? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/43752-what-makes-loudspeaker-full-range.html)

kneadle 26th October 2004 06:03 PM

what makes a loudspeaker "full range"?

Just so I post in the right place, is there a definition?

Thanks,
Dave

AudioFreak 26th October 2004 06:17 PM

Would generally be a single driver / array of identical drivers reproducing the entire audio band and usually devoid of a crossover network.

Timn8ter 26th October 2004 06:28 PM

Examples of full-range driver loudspeakers are Lowther, Fostex, Diatone etc. These loudspeakers try to cover the major frequency span of human voice and common musical instruments without a crossover to another driver. Wide-range drivers, those that try to cover most of the frequency span and only rely on another driver at the extremes (i.e. a subwoofer or a supertweeter) can also fit this category. Horn loudspeakers are also considered full-range. Horns can extend full-range drivers, and some horn systems attempt wide-range performance with few drivers.

kneadle 26th October 2004 08:22 PM

Okay,

So if I build a speaker system based on one driver--even though it's not designed to cover frequencies below 100Hz--that's a full-range loudspeaker, and my completed project will be posted here.

Eh?

Dave

Timn8ter 26th October 2004 08:41 PM

Yep, many "full range" projects fall in that category, for example John Krutke's W3-871S projects.

EC8010 1st November 2004 11:55 AM

The definition I have used when moving posts to this forum is that the loudspeaker should have been designed not to need a tweeter and should have its fundamental mechanical resonance <100Hz.

kneadle 1st November 2004 12:47 PM

How about Fs 111Hz?:) I'm building a TL with the TB 881s. Should I post it here or in the general forum?

Thanks,
Dave

Timn8ter 1st November 2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EC8010
The definition I have used when moving posts to this forum is that the loudspeaker should have been designed not to need a tweeter and should have its fundamental mechanical resonance <100Hz.
Would that eliminate my TQWT with FE207E and supertweeter from being considered "full-range"? Also, the Tangband W3-871S has an Fs of 110Hz which means the John Krutke designs would not meet the qualification either.

EC8010 1st November 2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timn8ter
Would that eliminate my TQWT with FE207E and supertweeter from being considered "full-range"? Also, the Tangband W3-871S has an Fs of 110Hz which means the John Krutke designs would not meet the qualification either.
Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite as precise, <120Hz is fine. I think you've answered your other point yourself by defining the tweeter as a supertweeter. In the end, the final arbiter is the threadstarter, if you start a thread and feel that the driver is being used as a full range, then that's the end of the matter. Remember, we're only moving threads because there previously wasn't a full range forum...

Timn8ter 1st November 2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EC8010

Perhaps I shouldn't have been quite as precise, <120Hz is fine. I think you've answered your other point yourself by defining the tweeter as a supertweeter. In the end, the final arbiter is the threadstarter, if you start a thread and feel that the driver is being used as a full range, then that's the end of the matter. Remember, we're only moving threads because there previously wasn't a full range forum...

Thank you for the clarification :)