Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2004, 02:15 AM   #1
CD is offline CD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FE 127e vs. FE126e

FE126e gives you two more db sensitivity than the FE 127E, and it looks slightly less peaky above 5khz.

But, while neither speaker has gotten huge attention here, the FE127E seems favored. (The specified difference is that the 127E is shielded, though the the 127e also shows higher Qms Qes, Qts). What am I missing?

thanks

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...pdf/fe126e.pdf

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...fe127erev2.pdf
Old 22nd October 2004, 02:38 AM   #2
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

It seems like FE126E is new unit. I did not notice it a few months ago.
Old 22nd October 2004, 03:18 AM   #3
hacknet is offline hacknet  Singapore
diyAudio Member

i`ve just got my 127 and it sounds good.

i decided against the 126 because of its low Qts, other than that, its an okay driver.
Old 1st November 2004, 02:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default fe126e

Hi,

The fe126e is a relatively new driver and I think not many people have experimented with it (at least there is very few information on the web).

I got my pair about 2 weeks ago. They are built on ~10 L BR enclosures for testing purposes and I already like them very much. Very detailed, although I cannot compare them with any other fostex driver. The response is not peaky, but rising up to 6.5K and then falling down about 6db/oct. Although they are quite listenable as they are I think they should be corrected or placed in some kind of horn.

The BL/weight ratio is very large on this drivers. If you calculate Bl*cone diameter/mms you obtain the largest figure of all the fostex drivers.

I plan to build small closed cercamic enclosures and augment them either with dipole or closed woofers, actively chip-amplified and with active crossover & compensation circuits.

I am triying to find out what is the best approach to correct the respone electronically (perhaps a shelving lowpass, a notch at 6.5k, plus even a shelving downpass at 15 k) and what to integrate on the chimamps circuit and what to build with more opamps.
Old 27th November 2004, 01:48 PM   #5
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

greetings!

I have a pair of these drivers; I built a pair of mini Karlsons, the chamber has a folded transmission line. At this point the k wings have not been installed. I can tell you the bass is very good and reaches 40 hz. There is a hybrid horn design included with the fostex information which is also a good option.

I also have the fe206e in a back loaded horn enclosure; very good dynamics and bass

My amp is a lm3875 gainclone with a 12au7 tube "foreplay" preamp

Seems like a fostex trait is the rising response that can hurt your ears! Transient response, bass, dynamics are all there. It is not to difficult to get good bass from this fe126e driver ; the key is the back loading and tuning.I put some thick dense mineral insulation right behind the driver to absorb reflections.

Maybe there is something wrong with my ears-just a few observations:

I have an old small transistor radio; I like the sound of that speaker! I lke the sound of my tv! I'm considering placing 4 tv speakers per side in a series parallel grouped in a square 4 per side on a baffle.

doggy
Old 27th November 2004, 05:31 PM   #6
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default wow!

Just wanted to say what a significant improvement the"Moray James tweak" is to the fe126e, worth trying.

doggy
Old 15th December 2004, 02:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default ff85k ?

I was wondering if anybody has compared the fe126e to the ff85k
Old 15th December 2004, 11:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My amp is a lm3875 gainclone with a 12au7 tube "foreplay" preamp
I've wondered about the performance of Fostex drivers with chip amps. My experience is that tube amps bring out the best in these drivers while SS and chips produce that "rising response that can hurt your ears". According to Nelson Pass that can be shown empirically, the exception being a current source SS amp as opposed to a voltage source SS amp.
Old 16th December 2004, 12:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tim, I couldn't agree more. I brought my speakers down to the Atlanta DIY (108e sigma in sealed enclosures with subs) and first had them plugged into a vintage tube amp and they sounded quite nice, about what I had come to expect from them... then at the end of the day GM and I took them over to another room and plugged them into someone's gainclone. They sounded quite thin and painfully bright, this of course could be partially blamed on my design/construction, but I'm only willing to take part of the blame . They definately sounded fuller, and less piercing on a tube amp.
Joe
Old 16th December 2004, 01:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They sounded quite thin and painfully bright, this of course could be partially blamed on my design/construction, but I'm only willing to take part of the blame
Yes, that's been my experience too and I know the feeling. You tell yourself "if I had designed them right they would sound good on everything". Maybe, but there are always compromises.

Hide this!Advertise here!