Fostex FE207E ML-TQWT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st October 2004, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE207E ML-TQWT

I recycled an enclosure from a less than successful project that I attempted about a year ago. Surprisingly enough the FE207E fit pretty well.
http://www.timn8er.com/alegria_audio_fq.htm
Old 22nd October 2004, 06:43 PM   #2
The one and only

Oooooooo, very nice.
Old 22nd October 2004, 07:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks NP.
Old 24th October 2004, 10:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fostex FE207E ML-TQWT

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
I recycled an enclosure from a less than successful project that I attempted about a year ago. Surprisingly enough the FE207E fit pretty well.
http://www.timn8er.com/alegria_audio_fq.htm

Those look very nice. I noticed that you used the BSC design from Martin King's ML-TL for the FE206/207E. I was currious what you are using to drive this speaker and what value of resistor you have settled upon? Many of the builders of the 206/207 ML TL swear by Mills resitors, what brand are you using?

As for the BSC, do you find that the values for the rectangular enclosure also work for your tappered section?

One last question (for now!) ... What do you estimate your efficiency to be with the stuffing and BSC in place?

Cheers,
GM.
Old 25th October 2004, 01:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, I used Martin's BSC circuit as described. I used Mills resistors and settled on the 1 ohm. I'm using an EL-34 push-pull amp and don't feel the need to attenuate the mids any further. At this point it seems well balanced. I may change my mind but I'm happy for now. Estimate is right, but I would say they are still more efficient than my 90 db speakers, I guess 92-93db.
Old 25th October 2004, 01:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Timn8ter,
I would be interested in hearing how these compare to some of the smaller fostex drivers youv'e used, or heard. I assume it is better in the lower registers, but how does it compare to the 103's in midrange? How is the 207 without the helper tweeter?
Thanks
Joe
Old 25th October 2004, 03:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It may be a little early to make an objective comparison. I'm still like a kid with a new toy so naturally I think it's great. I like listening to music with a lot of acoustic bass so that was always a short-coming with the FE103E since the best I could hope for was mid to upper 50Hz response. The FE127E is better but doesn't have the power handling I would like. I haven't built anything with the pair of FE167E I have sitting on the shelf and I haven't used the FE207E without the tweeter other than putting my hand over the tweeter while it's playing. All that considered I'm surprised at the overall balance of the FE207E. Just when I wonder if there's enough bass along comes a song like Hot Milk (Monty Meets Sly and Robbie) and I'm pleasently surprised. Details are quite good in the mid-range but I'll have to do an A/B test with the FE103E to be more objective. I've been listening to this setup for about a week and I'm still hearing new things in my music. That's probably a good sign.
Old 25th October 2004, 04:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, pretty well imposible to be objective when listening to a newly built set of speakers.... too many hopes/expectations. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts in a couple of weeks. Glad you're enjoying them.
Joe
Old 30th October 2004, 12:53 AM   #9
eboni is offline eboni  United States
diyAudio Member

Tim,

Very nice . . . need those parts

bon
Old 30th October 2004, 02:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bon.
They're coming

Hide this!Advertise here!