ML TL Fostex FE 167 E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am building a ML TL with the fullrange 6"speaker from Fostex FE 167 E.
The dimensions will be height= 40" depht= 10 1/2' and wide = 8 1/2 1" and a port which will be round 3" and 4 1/4" long about 1 1/4" from the bottum

BSC will be L= 2 mH and R=6 ohm.

And most important no stuffing

How long must they burn in?

Pictures coming soon

Attachments

• ft_1600_mkii.jpg
    ft_1600_mkii.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,425
Hello there:
I have been listening to mine for ten months now. I love everything about them with possible exception of bass intensity(My sub has solved that concern though). While I was building my cabinets I mounted the drivers to a baffle and let the local FM station warm them up for me. This lasted about a month or so. I set them up in my beer and wine room letting them play continuously. As you already have your design figured out you will not need to take any measurements so burning them in is not a big deal thing. I would be inclined to hook them up and let them play. You will notice a gradual change over the first two or three hundred hours. They will sound different from what you are currently using. Both your ears and the drivers will eventually settle down and you will enjoy the music and your creation.
Good luck and keep us posted

rbines wrote this:
The MkII version is an evolutionary improvement upon the original design. Over the three years since I published the original FT-1600, I have tried to improve the mid-range presence by reducing the amount of stuffing in the cabinet

So in his mkII version there is almost no stuffing !!!

They are burning in .. about 30 hours

They sound outstanding very very good

And they need a bsc

imaging is surprisingly good with reasonable depth

the coherence this speakers have is very good

everything seems to hold together so well

they have speed and impact

Ideally toeing-in the speakers to cross over just in front of the listeningpoint

I don't like to jump in on threads discussing my designs because I am attempting to sells these commercially. However....

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this project was built from the simplified drawing on my web site. It is going to be missing some of the nuances that I build into these speakers and that are discribed in the complete plans package. The discussion of "no stuffing" is only partly correct. The cabinet is completely lined with high-density fiberglass, which effectively damps out the high order pipe harmonics -- the purpose of stuffing a pipe in the first place. The advantage of lining vs stuffing is to maintain the openness of the mid-range sound. Stuffing, particularly directly behind the driver can kill mid-range presence. The actual response of the FT-1600 MkII is:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This measurement was take on an open concrete driveway away from any obstuctions. See the original article for details. The amp used was a low-Z SS amp. Most ownersof this speaker use high-Z SET's. The effective series resistance levels out the top and bottom -- the reported result that tubes give better bass.

Sorry for intruding.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.