T-line with FE-103E as computer speaker? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 12:28 AM   #11
CD is offline CD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default results

Since folks were so generous with advice I wanted to report back on results. Ended up with the Fostex FE127E in a t-line as short as it was wide. Internal dimensions were about 22x5.5 at the driver end, narrowing to the vent which is 5.5 across and just over 0.5 wide; internal height is 22 In the language of the Martin King worksheets L=22, S0=11Sd, SL=0.3Sd. This let me make the thing in the shape of an isosceles right triangle, and cut all the front and back panels (24x24x~34 triangles) from one 2x4 sheet of Home Depot particle board. So the driver is at one 24 end, and the cabinet then narrows, asymmetrically, to a point at the vent end. Cabinets were braced, damped, foam-lined, and stuffed at the driver end.

I turned the cabinets upside down, with the vents facing up, and bolted them to either side of the shelving unit that extends above the back of my desk. So listening is substantially off-axis.

Sound: I tried them with both a NAD 304 and with the low-power Sonic Impact amp they were made for. Bass: recessed but well-defined, and I can fix some of this with EQ on the PC. Midrange: nice and fairly natural-sounding. Voices are good, sometimes startlingly good. Highs: only tolerable -- to my ears there's something hard-edged and limited about this driver's upper end. Dynamics: at low levels, fine. For the price Im quite happy with them, but if I were to spend much more I think Id move to a good tweeter and crossover. I'd love to hear the fabled Jordan fullrange driver, though.
Old 1st December 2004, 12:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Many full-range drivers, such as the FE127E and Jordan JX92S, take on a different personality when driven by a tube or current source amp.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/f...rstwatt_2.html
Old 10th December 2004, 02:53 PM   #13
Onur is offline Onur  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Onur Send a message via MSN to Onur
Default To cut a long story short ...

I have worked on this driver and since I am now aware that Fostex will not continue manufacturing these anymore, I gave up building.

If you can place the speaker unit lower then the start of the line you can prevent midrange to enter the line. By this way, you can have a well balanced sound.

I worked this out with AJ-Horn and if you need the simulation response, I can send it to you to your private email address.

-Onur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fostex_enclosure_ls_dim.jpg (69.2 KB, 381 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!