just ordered my CSS 4.5" XBL wideranges... who else? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2004, 12:32 AM   #1
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default just ordered my CSS 4.5" XBL wideranges... who else?

Anyone else get these? Lets hear what you have planned for them if you did.
Old 16th October 2004, 02:23 AM   #2
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Well 1st of 4 on the go.
More to come as well.

Al
Old 16th October 2004, 08:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't ordered them yet due to lack of money. However, I plan on getting some and running them full range for computer speakers
Old 16th October 2004, 09:02 PM   #4
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was contemplating picking up a couple, but I just ordered a pair of Extremis 6s, so maybe I'll pick up a pair later, after the pre-order.
Old 17th October 2004, 04:39 PM   #5
sbolin is offline sbolin  Thailand
diyAudio Member

They look very nice, but I also ordered a bunch of Extremis. Adire is supposed to be releasing a lot of woofers in the coming weeks, so I will wait to see what they offer. I need the back pair of speakers in a HT setup, I believe these should be pretty good for that. Computer speakers too - good idea. I was thinking about some Auras for that, maybe I will reconsider.
Old 18th October 2004, 05:21 PM   #6
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well, Adire better slow down before I have to default on my mortgage

I am looking at running these full range, but after running some tests filtering out everything above 13khz, I'm not sure I will be totally happy with the result. Anyone have any ideas for a tweeter to mate with these? I was thinking maybe something like the Seas 19TFF that's onsale at madisound (http://www.madisound.com/Sale%20Page...eas%20H586.pdf) or the Audax Gold Dome micro-tweeter (of which I've seen several versions, but little info) that is available for about the same price at Madisound or Solen. I wonder why no one has reported on this Audax micro, when the polymer version seems to get lots of use. Maybe that should be a sign to me.

One appealingly simple alternative would be to build them into fullrange boxes, then install a top-mounted tweeter if necessary - problem is, I'm not sure if there are any good top mounted tweeters, I've only seen Morel and Hi-Vi models, and haven't seen much info about either.
Old 18th October 2004, 09:29 PM   #7
Grahamt is offline Grahamt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Add me to the "was going to buy them until the Extremis came out" list. I was also thinking of pairing them with the Seas 19TFF or the 19TAF that Tony Gee likes, they look like good choices to me. Creative sound solutions is also designing some MTMS and MT for the Wr125.
Old 21st October 2004, 02:56 AM   #8
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

Count me in. I ordered 4. No firm plans yet, but I haven't built anything in a long time, and this looks like a good place to start.

John
Old 21st October 2004, 03:58 AM   #9
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
RAW: Are those Koda 8's in the bass section? Looks nice.
Old 21st October 2004, 08:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by morbo
I am looking at running these full range, but after running some tests filtering out everything above 13khz, I'm not sure I will be totally happy with the result.

I'd recomend trying them full range before you rule it out. As long as the intended application keeps them on-axis, I think you will be surprised at how well they do up high. You can always add a tweeter and crossover later if you aren't happy.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Hide this!Advertise here!